Using Monogame without templates and IDE on a macos

Hi,

While I’ve managed to use Monogame from VSC IDE on macos, I feel like a lot is going on behind the scenes which I don’t understand. And to allay this worry a bit, I want to build a game starting from nothing but the bare necessities (i.e., the Monogame dynamic libs), so that I get a better idea about what goes where. Coming from a macos/linux background, I would understand it much more if for instance, I could create all the files in the project directory myself, build it from the command line (calling C# compiler), and then run the game using mono. Is this possible? Any pointers on how I can go about doing this?

Thanks.

A lot has changed, Id say just make a empty project and add the dll’s and references that are required but there might be a little more to it now. I got this to build on linux (ubuntu) early on when it “didn’t just work on linux”, by doing just that, it took a lot of time and effort.

I would rather tell you, that you can build the entire framework from scratch as a project and actually step thru it as it runs. Instead of just learning how to link all the files to get a project to run.
The full source code is here

There are instructions there to build it and in the downloads and documentation areas as well as on the net ect.