XB1 and MonoGame

Hey there. Has anyone tried pushing their MonoGame project to XB1 using the new dev mode discussed at Build? I activated it in VS2015 tonight and I can push my UWP MonoGame app to the XB1. I am not seeing any runtime errors. 2D sprites work but 3D doesn’t work for me. I am curious if anyone has made more progress?

1 Like

You might be the first!

I know @CartBlanche and @dellis1972 were trying it out, but I think it got too late and they had to go sleep.

If you can push up some video to YouTube and tweet it out i’m sure we would retweet it.

There isn’t anything specific to 3D that should keep that from working. Probably just a bug of some sort. I am going to try to set things up here in my office tomorrow to do this too and see what I can figure out.

Great that you’ve managed to do this so quickly.

Any chance you can post a video of this working so we can tweet about it? Or if you tweet about it let me know your twitter handle and I’ll retweet it from the MG account.

Thanks.

@STonstad - I figured out the “3d” problem… if you switch your vertex and index buffers into dynamic vertex and index buffers it works. It seems either a) there is a mistake in the DX11 runtime on XB1 under UWP or b) our non-dynamic buffer creation is incorrect and all the other desktop/store/mobile devices have let it slide so far.

Ok… @STonstad you were first, but I got some video :slightly_smiling:

Right on! That’s cool that you got it working. I would have posted a video but work was crazy and I didn’t have anything cool to show since my game is all 3d. Nice demo!

No worries… I know how that is.

I plan to try to get some fixes into the repo for this over the next week. It should solve your problems.

So I just discovered something today. When I pushed to the XB1 Wednesday I was using Windows 10586 SDK – the version that comes with VS 2015 Update 2. I didn’t think anything of it until I followed up on MSDN forums with a discussion around how XAML is automatically resized on XB1 (here). So long story short, the Windows SDK that is part of RedStone1 is actually the version we are supposed to use on XB1. I was not running a PC on build 14295 when I did my test. Therefore, it is possible that the 3D thing is a Windows UWP behavior and it is fixed in Redstone 1 Beta. That release is slated for summer (June). I will likely upgrade my laptop to test – but that is a few days out before I can put it on the fast ring. I just wanted to give you a heads up before you possibly introduce changes to the code base.

Thanks @STonstad!

Seems like people are still making good progress!

Confirmed – 3d behavior described above does not work in newer 14295 Windows SDK.

Interesting… i’ll work on this a bit tomorrow. Have an issue up for fixing these few XB1 bugs: