[ACTIVATED] Dark mode?

I haven’t been able to find a dark mode setting here in the forums (for my eyes late at night etc), is there one and if not, anyone else in favor of making one?

Not a huge fan of workarounds like css-injecting plugins and similar… mainly cus they haven’t worked so well for me in the past but open for suggestions…

Cheers

4 Likes

Would help if you did some research on options for @harry-cpp ? to work with…

2 Likes

Thanks @MrValentine !

I don’t mean to come here with demands to the venerable core developers, especially not if I’m alone in wanting a dark mode. I’m sure they have more important things to do with their time. But it would be cool to know if more people would have use for one.

It’s been 10 years since I worked seriously with any CMS and I have no experience with Discourse in particular, that said, if it comes down to it and if I was asked I wouldn’t hesitate to get my hands dirty with this.

1 Like

It shouldn’t be horrendous amounts of work though. This link describes what the admins have to do to make it happen https://meta.discourse.org/t/allow-users-to-select-dark-light-theme/60857

2 Likes

I would like to have this option. I am using Opera on mobile. It has a nightmode feature which I use. But for desktop it would be nice to have a discourse feature. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wasn’t picking at you, more for future readers :joy:

1 Like

Supposing it’s an ocular problem and not a aesthetic requirement (in this case, just wait for the forum to be update), I use a plugin named “Dark background and light text” to do just the opposite: convert dark themes into lighter themes.

It is for sure not perfect, but beats the headache I get when I spend some time in front of a black screen with white text.

Also, when really in trouble with apps which are extremely dark (I’m looking at you, FMOD Studio) or light in your case, there’s a windows 10 switch that allows you to invert colors.
There’s even a shortcut to enable/disable the color modifications without having to enter the menu, which makes switching between FMOD studio (which for me requires the color filter) and other apps easily.
Just a shame it’s not a switch it can defined by app.

2 Likes

Almost forgot about that…

1 Like

I haven’t really touched the website, @Jjagg is the person you want.

1 Like

I just updated Discourse and added a dark mode.
I used the default, so it doesn’t have MG colors and the top navbar is provided by us, not Discourse so it currently is still white.
To set your theme go to Avatar > Preferences > Interface > Color Scheme.

9 Likes

The new dark mode is much kinder on the eyes. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This Community:

[Source: http://www.relatably.com/m/img/beautiful-memes/71eec2d80d18cffd990aa59131746395255e9b993c56ac3f1adfa7400ed6f28f.jpg]

1 Like

That’s why I had the question mark hehe, thanks!

@Jjagg,You amazing person you!

2 Likes

Wow! So perfect, thanks very much!:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for the dark mode! For additional darkening on mobile I can still recommend Opera :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes