C# reference loader for glTF format

Briefly about the glTF format:

From glTF Overview - The Khronos Group Inc

glTF™ 1.0 (GL Transmission Format) is a royalty-free specification for the efficient transmission and loading of 3D scenes and models by applications. glTF minimizes both the size of 3D assets, and the runtime processing needed by applications using WebGL™ and OpenGL®-family APIs to unpack and use those assets. glTF defines a common publishing format for 3D content tools and services that streamlines authoring workflows and enables interoperable use of content across the industry.

I just wanted to point out that the glTF developers have finished a C-sharp reference loader for glTF.

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF/tree/master/loaders/CSharp

There’s no major incentive to supporting glTF yet, but it’s a bit of a chicken and egg problem, since 3D tools like Blender have a much bigger incentive to create a glTF exporter if several engines can import it. If nothing else, it’s well worth keeping an eye on.

Assimp supports gtlf (at least says so in the main page), so MonoGame is probably supporting it already.

1 Like

If AssImp already supports reading glTF, I see nothing else to be done. Our content pipeline already processes meshes into binary data with no runtime processing required as they are already in the format required for easy consumption by the GPU on the target platform, whether that be OpenGL, DirectX or something else.

Yep, I’m content here :smiley: I wasn’t aware that you had such a tight integration with Assimp, that’s really cool. I’ll let the glTF devs know they can add MonoGame to their list of compatible game engines.

It would probably be a good idea to test it first before publicising it. :slight_smile: Would need some glTF format files first.

Heh, fair point. There’s a list of reference models available here if anyone familiar with the Assimp import pipeline would like to take a shot at it:

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF/tree/master/sampleModels