Can´t build application in Visual Studio Community 2017

Hello… I installed Visual Studio Community 2017 with MonoGame 3.6 but when I try to build a project it appears the following error message:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error The command ““C:\Program Files\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\Tools\MGCB.exe” /@:“C:\Users\Dinis\source\repos\Mono1\Mono1\Content\Content.mgcb” /platform:Windows /outputDir:“C:\Users\Dinis\source\repos\Mono1\Mono1\Content\bin\Windows” /intermediateDir:“C:\Users\Dinis\source\repos\Mono1\Mono1\Content\obj\Windows” /quiet” exited with code -1. Mono1

Somehow when I set build action of content.mgcb to “none” I finally see the blue screen and build the project… however I get the following warning:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Warning No Content References Found. Please make sure your .mgcb file has a build action of MonoGameContentReference Mono1

How can I solve this issue?

Thanks!

The first error is just telling you the content project won’t build, but it’s not saying why. I think if you open it inside the content pipeline tool and try to build it there, it might give a more detailed error.

1> The MonoGame content tools only work on a 64bit OS.
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\MonoGame.Content.Builder.targets(90,5): error MSB3073: The command ““C:\Program Files\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\Tools\MGCB.exe” /@:“C:\Users\Dinis\Desktop\MonoIntro2\MonoIntro2\Content\Content.mgcb” /platform:Windows /outputDir:“C:\Users\Dinis\Desktop\MonoIntro2\MonoIntro2\Content\bin\Windows” /intermediateDir:“C:\Users\Dinis\Desktop\MonoIntro2\MonoIntro2\Content\obj\Windows” /quiet” exited with code -1.
========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

You’ve just copied and pasted the same error out of visual studio.

Like @jnoyola said, you need to run it from the Pipeline Tool (Windows Start -> MonoGame -> MonoGame Pipeline) or use the command-line to run mgcb on it so you can see what the error is. The VS templates don’t emit the full error.

Given that it’s a new project, your account is probably just crippled and doesn’t have full ownership of the target directory (if Win10).

Well it does mention this time that it only works on a 64 bit OS.

Yes, I think that is the problem. MGCB.exe just runs on a 64 bits OS.

That is correct… The MGCB only runs on 64bit machines. Using a 32bit machine, you have to load images using the manual methods where you directly access the images in a folder for loading