Can we deploy our games for consoles using a Mac or Linux?

Or is Windows mandatory for such task? --> (Xbox One, PS4, Switch)

Maybe not the answer you are looking for but i was thinking ā€œdoes it matterā€ :wink:

Making the game is the hard part do that where everā€¦ when you are done with the game, if needed, ā€œrent/get/borrowā€ a pc and do the port to the dev kit hardware.

But I dont know if its neededā€¦ sorry

I think the politically correct answer here is, it makes it streamlined/easier.

Remember, you could get away with Bootcamping Windows onto your Mac, if not already awareā€¦

Of course, Iā€™m already doing that using only my Mac :slight_smile: My doubt here is if Windows is still mandatory for deploying our games to consoles using the devkit. But I donā€™t think so, just wanted a confirmation.

Edit: Just edited title so itā€™s more clear about my doubt

Got it, just as I imagined. And yep, I know about Bootcamping, itā€™s just that itā€™s convenient to be able to do everything using only your desktop of choice. GameMaker Studio 2 apparently do that, as thereā€™s also an editor for Mac.

I run a Windows VM on MacOs using VMWare Fusion so I can just flip between the two.

This may sound a bit clunky but, generally, it works fine in practice. I can switch between my Windows and Mac Desktop in an instant and, using the ā€˜shared foldersā€™ function in VMWare, compile shaders on Windows and have them running on MacOS pretty much right away!

2 Likes