Debugging using Monogame source code in VS 2015

I have a preexisting Monogame project that I am trying to look into, and want to be able to step into the Monogame code during execution to see what is going on. However, I have not been able to find much about this other than this post: Setup source code and start example to debug Monogame execution

I tried following it, but it does not seem to be working, though I may have made a mistake. I downloaded the source code for v3.4 and ran Protobuild.exe, generating all of the projects. I then removed the Monogame reference in my project. Now this next part is where I might be going wrong. I following the instructions in the post I linked to, I added an existing project to the solution, I went to the MonoGame.Framework folder and selected MonoGame.Framework.Windows and added it to the solution, and then added a reference to it in my game project. However, I cannot compile, the Monogame project seems to result in many errors such as

Error CS0246 The type or namespace name ‘MediaSession’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) MonoGame.Framework.Windows C:\Development\Monogame\MonoGame-3.4\MonoGame.Framework\Media\MediaPlayer.WMS.cs 18 Active
and in turn, the unavailability of Monogame causes many errors in my project, of course.

When you cloned the GitHub repo, did you update submodules? This is needed to get the dependent libraries such as SharpDX.

No, I did not. What dependent libraries are needed? Is there a section in the documentation available that lists them, and the versions required?

Looking a bit harder, I see this repo is availalbe: MonoGame.Dependencies. I guess this is likely what I need, and will give it a try.

Using command-line, from the root of the MonoGame repo, type

git submodule update --init

In TortoiseGit, right-click on the MonoGame folder and select Update submodules.

I’m having a similar problem - it doesn’t seem to recognise the “Storage” namespace. I’ve done the update submodule thing. Anywhere in my code where I have a

using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage;

I get the error:

“The type or namespace name ‘Storage’ does not exist in the namespace ‘Microsoft.Xna.Framework’ (are you missing an assembly reference?)”

I use the StorageDevice stuff for my savegames because this project was originally on XBox 360 and I don’t want to have to change the code.

When I use monogame from the installer (3.5) it links fine and Storage is recognised. But due to other bugs I want to be able to step into the MonoGame source code and find out what’s going wrong, so I tried to clone the repository and build against it.

In fact a Find in Files for “Storage” or “StorageDevice” finds nothing at all. It’s like it got deleted from the project?

Oh… I guess they have been removed. That’s inconvenient.