Distrubuting Cross Platform Desktop Project

Hi Everyone! I’m using Monogame 3.5 for a game jam this weekend and I was wondering what the easiest way to distribute it would be. I used the Monogame Cross Platform Desktop Project template.

In the past, I’ve used the Monogame Windows Project template and had to create an installer with ClickOnce to ensure that DirectX was installed on the user’s machine. As I understand it, Cross Platform Desktop uses OpenGL so I was hoping to be able to just zip up the Release folder and be done with it. Would this work? I would hate to get to zero hour of the game jam only to find out my release is missing one or more dependencies! Thanks!

Bonus Question: Am I right in my understanding that a single Cross Platform Desktop Project complied under Windows will run on Windows,Mac, and Linux without having to compile them on each platform?

Re: cross platform, I am able to develop my game on Windows with Visual Studio and then on the Mac side, I say “mono Foo.exe” and it works right away which is quite nice.

But I haven’t decided how to pack things up and distribute them because I’m not close to that stage. I’m sure someone else will chime in.

There’s an open PR (WIP, but no activity recently) that adds documentation on this. https://github.com/MonoGame/MonoGame/pull/4430

Hm, ok from what I can tell, Windows looks like it’s ready to go out of the box, with the exception of maybe adding openal32.dll into the release folder. Not sure if that’s still necessary. Mac/Linux looks like I at least have to bundle Mono with it.

Jup, you must’ve read about MonoKickstart too, but just for completeness I’ll add a link here: GitHub - MonoGame/MonoKickstart: Kick start executable for running stand-alone distributed Mono applications
for anyone running into this. In short:

on GNU/Linux and Mac OSX without depending on a system installation of Mono.```
1 Like

Sweet! Pretty easy! Thank you!

1 Like