dotnet add reference and dotnet run not working for mgandroid project

Adding a reference does not work I get this from the .NET Core CLI:

Project `C:\test\test.Android\test.Android.csproj` could not be evaluated. Evaluation failed with following error:
The imported project "C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk\3.1.401\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets" was not found. Confirm that the expression in the Import declaration "Xamarin.Android.Common.targets" is correct, and that the file exists on disk.  C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk\3.1.401\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.CSharp.targets.
Usage: dotnet add <PROJECT> reference [options] <PROJECT_PATH>

Arguments:
  <PROJECT>        The project file to operate on. If a file is not specified, the command will search the current directory for one.
  <PROJECT_PATH>   The paths to the projects to add as references.

Options:
  -h, --help                    Show command line help.
  -f, --framework <FRAMEWORK>   Add the reference only when targeting a specific framework.
  --interactive                 Allows the command to stop and wait for user input or action (for example to complete authentication).

Anybody knows what might be the problem? I am using Windows 10 here and I tried adding a reference to another project. The same command works if I add the reference to an mgdesktopgl or mgwindowsdx project using the command line. So I assume it must be something specific to the mgandroid project.

Also the command dotnet run does not work and the reason is the same as above but I don’t know how to fix it. I installed everything I think that is required as described in the official documentation.

$ dotnet new mgandroid -o MyGame
The template "MonoGame Android Application" was created successfully.
$ cd MyGame/
$ dotnet run
C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk\3.1.401\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.CSharp.targets(51,5): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk\3.1.401\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets" was not found. Confirm that the expression in the Import declaration "Xamarin.Android.Common.targets" is correct, and that the file exists on disk. 
[C:\Users\ea\Desktop\android\MyGame\MyGame.csproj]

The build failed. Fix the build errors and run again.

I opened an issue on GitHub here https://github.com/MonoGame/MonoGame/issues/7350

This is no bug since… Comment from GitHub:

Not a bug, you have to use msbuild to build Xamarin.Android projects.

With .NET 6 you'll be able to work with Xamarin.Android projects from dotnet CLI.

The schedule for .NET 6 is November 2021.