Fullscreen in monogame 3.2 failing VS2013

I get the following exception when I try to run my code. It will go fullscreen if I set the number of pixels exactly to the native windows resolution. But if I try to create game with less pixels in it, the following:

An unhandled exception of type ‘OpenTK.Graphics.GraphicsModeException’ occurred in OpenTK.dll

Additional information: Device Primary: {X=0,Y=0,Width=1920,Height=1080} (265 modes available): Failed to change resolution to {X=0,Y=0,Width=1280,Height=720}x32@60Hz.

Is this a known error? Am I missing some way to fix this issue?

you can’t go fullscreen with any resolution you want (not on Monogame but on any system). Check the message “(265 modes available)”. You can use any of those 265 modes.

Hi there, thank you for this. I am still confused on this issue I must admit. When I reduce the values to say 50% (so say 540 instead of 1080p) then the sprites on screen look the same and seem to move the same amount of pixels. So basically when going fullscreen it seems to have no affect and just renders it all in the native resolution.

No doubt this is 100% down to issues I am causing at this end, so sorry to be a pain in the ass.

No idea, but GraphicsAdapter.DefaultAdapter.CurrentDisplayMode contains the resolution of the current display mode. You could check that value once you’ve entered full screen to check the resolution is the one you chose.

thanks dude. I will certainly do this. Currently it not so important as I am merely playing with concepts and seeing how I can get a game to feel fun. Then when I start building the actual game I have in mind I will need to know that it can be played fullscreen on 99.9999999999999% of people using latest windows 7 or 8 etc.

Sadly, I have gone back to XNA and used my code and the sprites all stretch to fit once I make it full screen. And therefore of course all my game logic works as expected. For now, as I am only playing about making cheap 2d mess about games for my own entertainment, I am going back to XNA as I think the hardware I have and the compiler etc I’m using is not 100% working with monogame and as I’m learning I find that too confusing.
Hopefully when I have gained enough knowledge I can check back to monogame and work around the minor issues.

Keep up the good work here though it is a fantastic project and will help countless people like me to make games