✔ ☕ General Conversation Thread

Cool initiatve Mr. Valentine! if I’m still developing 3D in MG I would really love to join, but ATM I’m interested on a project to remove everything DirectX(SharpDX) and OpenGl(OpenTK) and support only Vulkan in MonoGame source :wink:

With that said, only Xbox platform will be left in the cold : ) but who knows if Xbox Scarlet will eventually support Vulkan like PS5 and Switch, Etc…

1 Like

That kind of puts my concern int hw ind really, it makes no sense for MG to be DX free, so with what I have been hearing lately, I don’t know if spending time with MG would be time invested for me now.

My only interested markets are the XBOX and Windows 10, though I do now own a switch, still, I would rather support something functional such as xbox and Win10…

But thanks, it will be for a 3D engine…

Actually it will be something for us to build from and understand how to integrate everything with your own engine.

I tend to get very verbose with my explanation posts though, so, long, they will be haha…

Thanks for the input guys!

1 Like

Well, how is everyone doing, it would appear more people have time for coding and I feel compelled to finish some games off before going back into coding again, would need a refresher on C# too at this point,

Purchased a Switch, and got myself a true gem of a game, Star Ocean R, hoping they release the next game in the series, it reminded me why I wanted to make games way back in the day.

Stay well and healthy all.

Watch out, starting to get time again, and I found an old video of mine:

Made that back in 2015 for a game concept idea I had, I wonder how easy it will be to do that in MG?

How is everyone going?

Hey! - cool demo there.

How it’s going? I’m looking into loading data from XML faster. It’s not the best.

I need to talk to someone who knows XML and games. And I don’t know anyone with those qualifications at all… Total snooze-fest.

What are you looking to do, I can only advise for UWP.

If you would like to help, I have posted a few times today asking about it. Basically, my game just takes too long to load levels… I think my XML stuff is correct, it just takes time to instantiate all the objects from the data… So now I might have to learn about multi-threading - Loading the next room, while player completes current room…

It’s either that, or some little loading animation at every door… I see this in other games, but I like the transition-free doors…

Have you ever done sneaky back-ground loading / instantiation?

Thanks, forgot to respond to this.

Just fill the screen with a solid colour and unveil, don’t try to do something smart, other than maybe an animated icon/emblem or a bar divided by the number of objects.

EDIT

I am still behind on 22 new posts. A bit busy today.

So, is anyone else dreading the impending release of VS21?

I suspect it might come out Q1 2021 in line with the dev conferences.

And does anybody know if you still need VS17 for XBOX development?

I can confirm, XBOX development with VS19 works now.

I’m still using 2015 free version. Are you implying sir, that it has been five YEARS? -Or even 6 maybe?

What has changed between the versions, I mean how much better could it really get?

1 Like

Amazing things changed!

lol

Depends on your project but a lot has changed:

1 Like

When you give your game engine a name where the commands rhyme with something known as a Number 1.

Is this potty humor, or programmer humor?

Both I think ahahahaha

That awkward moment you begin a programming series of videos on YouTube and you think to ask what people might like to see, and if they would like to share their ideas…

2 Likes

When you find out FFVII on Windows Store is using SharpDX, and potentially MonoGame… makes sense though as the original game was DX as well [Windows 95/98 Release)

1 Like

I can confirm, i9’s are worth every penny… [9th Gen]

Native Toolchain compilation is so quick, I did not even notice it on a fresh template… on an i7 top end, it was noticeable… [6th Gen which is actually more powerful than an 8th Gen]

Anybody else having this issue?

Out of shear curiosity, can we do a challenge to see who has the fastest compile time for a Hello World app from a cleaned build?

Simply curious as I have moved to a Core i9 [sustaining 4Ghz+ without an issue, would really like to tweak it to hit 5Ghz though…] and really amazed at the compile times now despite using a somewhat “slow” SSD…

After doing a first build and then a clean solution, I get 7~10 seconds to a Cornflower Blue. That is, debug…

~46 Seconds for a Release build on first run… 33~ seconds on subsequent clean build runs with Native Code Compilation…

I should compare this to my previous i7 system… ooh, is there a way to network compilation to speed things up?

I am aware Intel has Incredibuild, not sure how it works but not forking that kind of money for it either lol unless it genuinely makes a difference…

This question is purely for the fun of it… do participate; if you are as bored as I am…