✔ ☕ General Conversation Thread

Now you’re getting the point.

Anyway, anyone doing a game jam lately?

I lately attempted, and as it often happens, I decided to work it over more time than the jam allocated :slight_smile:
It was the Pursuing Pixels jam, they cover indie and retro games and hosted their first this year. It would have been nice to be a part of the crowd :’)

@Martenfur Unrelated: as someone who uses your FMOD wrapper, thanks!

1 Like

Nice!

Was looking forward to the GMTK Jam but, things have come up… #Life

Post a link if you like @Antoine_Chartier, what did you use to create it?

I understand you.
As an exercise I’ve been wanting to hop on more jams than Ludum Dare, which I religiously attend. The PPJ submission isn’t finished yet but I do have a preview of the larger project I intended it for: GLOW
All built with Monogame - not sure if you asked about other software too.

1 Like

DUDE!

I got vibes of classic PSOne era gaming from that… nice! I think I saw some dice roll mechanic in that, very neat! when you add particle effects [if you do] that would be so awesome! [I noticed particle effects on the mouse cursor, but the dice could use some kind of particle highlight when it is triggered] Just some feedback for you there :slight_smile:

It got me thinking, we have a showcase for more or less published apps/games, but, what about a WIP thread… :thinking: hmm…

EDIT

Other software is ok in this thread, it’s just an open discussion! but obviously no flame wars…

Hey, thanks!

The jam entry (not seen here) focuses on the dice. I’m doing my best to polish it, so thanks for the thoughts.

I like looking at WIP threads, so why not. I like that the MG twitter account re-tweets screenshots and other indev stuff.

Here’s a few soft-wares I enjoy:
MakenWeb’s SpleeterGUI
BahraniApps’ GifCam
Thorbjørn Lindeijer’s TileD

Train’s approaching! Have a nice day!

2 Likes

So……. Whenever anyone asks if they should use MonoGame or Unity…

If ever anything could be dumber…

Fine for anyone desiring to put their users at risk but… this isn’t a good move in any way whatsoever…

My opinion entirely, I hate ads, and nobody wants malware…….

EDIT

Is it just me that thinks the fact MonoGame/XNA being in the Steam top ten engine/gametools list in two spots, is pretty radical?

Awesome!

EDIT

Found the page:

https://steamdb.info/tech/

EDIT

OOOOOOO

https://steamdb.info/tech/Engine/MonoGame/

3 Likes

Anybody working on game engines that are usable by others?

I mean of course based on MG…

In my opinion, writing a game engine takes a lot of effort, and if not many users use it, it may be a waste of time, I was trying to write one myself but I noticed it will take years before I could finish it, so instead, I am focusing on very small problems that repeat itself, and find a solution to those with each new game , I will put some YouTube videos in a couple of weeks showing that, since I am releasing one game a month I found that is more time effective to fix problem on the go.

You mean building an engine as you go?

Do link your channel when appropriate, and post it in the discord channels too.

Not building an engine on the go, that is still too much, but build each of the small parts that will make it easier to program the next game.

For example, I had some type of xml import function in my last game that I published, but it was not generic enough, I had to update the excel file when I added new fields, then edit the class, the import function and some other things, I made many mistakes when importing by forgetting where to update and in many cases when testing I found that I forgot one place to edit, I wasted a lot of time, and I have at least 3 to 4 xml files to edit, so a lot of manual work and waste of time, so in the next game I am working now, I simplified the whole thing into 2 places only one excel and the class file , that’s it, the importer takes care of finding the data it needs to copy into the class automatically, this saves me a lot of time and no mistakes can be made, using that principle, I will plan game #3, build on top of the mistakes and fix them based on the previous game instead of building a large game engine.
Ah, and on top of that, wrote a VBA exporter in excel to take care of all the XML stuff so I don’t have to ever touch that code again, all in just 1 hour to save me a lot of time in the future.

Like that, there are a tons of things that can be simplified to the max, that’s why I decided one game a month.

I am tempted to join you in that concept… one game a month…

I may take a different approach however, one mechanism a month or a week maybe…

Near fix but is that data for game levels or something?

Or is it your database of static default data?

All the items, enemies, stats, anything that can be configured is in xml. It can be maps, anything you can think of.
Every game will be one concept to look at every month, and any new game will build on top of the previous one, will re-use all the code and make it better, that’s what I am thinking to do.

This month, I am working on drag and drop mainly, everything else was built in previous iteration, otherwise you cannot finish a game in one month. So mainly will need to work on the game idea, graphics, audio and one programming challenge a month.

One thing that drives me crazy that I am not able to solve yet, is the project template, I created a new monogame project and added many things into it , like saving/loading, xml, game data, sound manager, ui manager, etc, but some of the monogame stuff is not copied into the template, like the .config folder, now that I think about it, maybe I can just add all those things into the zip file created by VS, I will try that and see if it works, most people will never see this as a problem because they write one game only over many years, if you move to one game a month, you will iterate a lot more, it is really refreshing really. And the most important thing is that you don’t get bored working on the same game!. Using the same template for every new game every month will save you many hours every single time, it will compound over time :slight_smile:

You can add to that zip file but, I found it to be tricksy…

Yeah I was thinking that, to have a base structure of code, say camera, model loading, map, controls for movement, and then introduce the new mechanic and build on it…

Over the time I’ve written plenty of “engines” myself on top of monogame. But making an engine, you use is a different thing than making that engine be usable for everyone else - normally they grow on demand and as there is no one-fits-all solution my “engines” normally turn out to be quite specific to what they were made for.

My last approach to an engine which is now the core part of my game Exipelago (and an early version was the base for a Tower Defense Game I made as a concept of proof) may come closest to a “general” approach of being an engine, featuring a deferred renderer (with shadow and SSAO) with render queues, layers, GameObjects, UI, SaveGames, SceneManagement … but it’s highly performance optimized and noone will be able to use it without knowledge about how it works and what to look out for and over the course of a game parts of the engine get tailormade for performance reasons.

So yea - lots of engines … none really for general purpose … I once even made a small 2D Framework for quick porting libGDX Games to MonoGame, but I only ever used it for one game and didnt port anything else - if I remember correctly, I first did it to release a mobile game on the MS Store

1 Like

Neat! Love TD games… not enough good ones on the market unfortunately…

I just discovered the Make Wiki feature but am far too afraid to click it, what does it do?

Anyone else notice the csharp code blocks not working? I had to use cpp…

csharp

123///123A|| in if then +-

fsharp

cpp

java

cs

nothing

Looks like only the cs version works, weird… and no fsharp code highlighting :confused: it looks better in fsharp though :frowning:

Only mentioning because a recent code highlight failed to function on me and I had to use cs in the leading line…