✔ ☕ General Conversation Thread

@MrValentine Great songs and very entertaining. Thank you for posting!

~Cheers,
Brett

2 Likes

A few more for the weekend:

I posted some a few months ago too:

And just to end this one off in a blast [A repost vid]:

Which one{'s} did you guys enjoy most?
EDIT

One more! [reposted vid]

Just opening a slow discussion [if it even takes traction], but what is your take on OpenGL dying?

OpenGL - Wikipedia

It is facing a wholesale ditching by the entire upper industry… and platforms…

I am aware not many are familiar with the complete drop from Windows which occurred not long ago of OGL2.1? [Honestly do not care to look it up any longer], for me this resulted in a paid expensive piece of software becoming vapourware with a single update. no surprise that with my already nonexistent care for OGL at the time, it re-flatlined the already flatline of giving two ticks for a pathetic API… [WebGL, oh please… EDIT, Just chiming back in here to point out I am aware of how the web is slowly adopting some web3D, but come on, it had over a decade to do this…]]

Anyway, not looking for a flame war here, just want to see what the general census is, and chime in if you don’t understand OpenGL at all too, would be interesting to see the understanding of graphics APIs is on a developer forum.

Please don’t bring up the java argument [It’s on so many devices] things like that move on when choices drop.

Happy typing!

I haven’t heard anything about OpenGL not being supported on Windows. I would be surprised if that were the case, as that would break a lot of games and other software, something that goes against one of Windows’ primary draws: long-term compatibility. On Windows, to my understanding, you can run software from two decades ago thanks to sticking to the x86 architecture and Windows itself being modifications to the same underlying code base from many years ago.

Vulkan, however, seems to be the modern successor to OpenGL. So if OpenGL goes the way of the dodo, it’s not so much that it has died but that it has evolved into Vulkan.

1 Like

This is DirectX’s Promise, not OGL…

I still use software from ~2003 on a daily basis [sometimes hourly…] my life runs on it… literally…

If that software [the OGL one mentioned before] was something my life depended on, I am screwed…

Again DirectX/.NET

EDIT
OH, you meant WindowsNT… that and DX/.NET are the reason things still function :blush:
/EDIT

You are aware they are completely different things, right? all the OpenGL apps will drop like the dodo, not just the API… frankly, Microsoft should make the move… blocking OGL should have been done back when the OGL makers ditched it in the first place…

I call it: a remnant of failed decisions… some people are too afraid to make world altering choices I guess :joy:

Thanks for chiming in :slight_smile:

Indeed.

I believe Vulkan used to be known as the Next Generation OpenGL initiative, and the same organization responsible for OpenGL is behind Vulkan. That’s why I said Vulkan was like the successor to OpenGL. But you’re right, Vulkan isn’t just an update to OpenGL, it’s its own new thing.

But what benefit would stopping OpenGL apps from working have? This isn’t a case like Adobe Flash where it was shut down due to both its outdatedness and its security vulnerabilities.

1 Like

I would still have a robust level editor that I paid for :wink:

I’m a bit confused. Your level editor depends on OpenGL not working?

If it did not use OGL, it would still [because it uses DX instead] be working and I would not have to write a level editor myself…

Well, that’s good. I guess you just don’t like OpenGL, then?

I only like one aspect of it, polygon building…

I just hate the deprecated 2.0-2.1 stuff; I think 3.0 and onwards still function…

I have no hate, just distrust of its unreliability…

EDIT

I think you can see what I did there lol

Just throwing this protip out there for the beginners, I have recently started coding apps again, and forgot you can hide lines of commented out code using

{ 

}

In VS…

Basically:

Method something()
    {
        {
        // some old but still useful code
        }
        String OtherCodeHere = "SomethingCool";
    }

And then just click the +/- sign on the top bracket to hide it all… the one immediately above the commented out code…

I had a typo that caused this to prematurely post lol, trying to indent with Tab key in a browser lol

EDIT

Adding to this, basically, you would find this useful when you need to keep some code present in a method/function but need to try out new code below it or above it but don’t want to keep scrolling or breaking out views.

1 Like

Just a gentle reminder to newcomers…

If you are looking for something like a guide/tutorial for MonoGame…

Remember to also look for XNA guides/tutorials, especially XNA4.0…

As you were…

:sake:

Anybody else having download issues with Visual Studio Updates/Fresh Installs?

This was for VS17
lol and then when trying a repair…

Turns out to be a CDN issue in general… oh well… will see if I can still code but this is annoying and the reason I hate distributed downloads…

EDIT

This feels better…

So glad MilkShape3D still works, unlike some other apps I paid for before :roll_eyes:

Which 3D modelling apps other than Blender and 3DSMax/Maya [ignore similar 3DS apps as well] do you guys use?

And, how do you guys paint your models?

For complete beginners, if you have not been following this series, perhaps dig back through his series and see if it answers some questions, you may have…

I don’t like everything he explains, not enough detail for me, but still worth listening to sometimes…

He covers a lot of useful topics though, if you dig for those gems, you will probably enjoy them too.

Ho boy, someone’s real bothered by my existence lul.

Really*

real**

Not really grammatically correct in that context, but you do you :sake: