How to build a MonoGame Application for Android

Hi,

how can I build a MonoGame Application for Android. I have tried to install/use Xamarin Studio/Monodevelop under Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu but MonoGame seems not to support these.

So how can I build for Android?

Thank you

Hi,

There should not be any problem.
What is your exact problem?

If you don’t find the project templates (which should be somewhere in the “C#/Visual C# => MonoGame” template browser), you may need to re-run the MonoGame installer with administrator privilege.

These are the problems I have:

I’ve installed MonoDevelop 4.0.12 under xubuntu 14.04 and installed the MonoGame 3.0.1 package.

If I try to create a new MonoGame for Android project I get this error:

System.InvalidOperationException: Project type 'MonoDroid' not found   at MonoDevelop.Projects.ProjectService.CreateProject (System.String type, MonoDevelop.Projects.ProjectCreateInformation info, System.Xml.XmlElement projectOptions) [0x00000] in :0   at MonoDevelop.Ide.Templates.ProjectDescriptor.CreateItem (MonoDevelop.Projects.ProjectCreateInformation projectCreateInformation, System.String defaultLanguage) [0x00000] in :0   at MonoDevelop.Ide.Templates.SolutionDescriptor.CreateEntry (MonoDevelop.Projects.ProjectCreateInformation projectCreateInformation, System.String defaultLanguage) [0x00000] in :0   at MonoDevelop.Ide.Templates.ProjectTemplate.CreateWorkspaceItem (MonoDevelop.Projects.ProjectCreateInformation cInfo) [0x00000] in :0   at MonoDevelop.Ide.Projects.NewProjectDialog.CreateProject () [0x00000] in :0

Then I’ve installed Xamarin Studio 5.0.1 (build 3) under Windows 8.1 and tried to install MonoGame 3.0.1 for XamarinStudio but getting this error:

The selected add-ins can't be installed because there are dependency conflicts. The package "core v4.0" could not be found in any repository The package "Ide v4.0" could not be found in any repository

The following packages will be installed:

MonoGame Project Templates v3.0.1 (in user directory)

The following dependencies could not be resolved:

Core v4.0
Ide v4.0

If I try to install the MonoGame 3.0.1 for MonoDevelop package I get this error

The selected add-ins can't be installed because there are dependency conflicts. The package "core v3.0" could not be found in any repository The package "Ide v3.0" could not be found in any repository

The following packages will be installed:

MonoGame Project Templates v3.0.1 (in user directory)

The following dependencies could not be resolved:

Core v3.0
Ide v3.0

So creating a new MonoGame for Android project under Linux fails and adding MonoGame to XamarinStudio under Windows fails, too.

So now I don’t know what to do…

Unfortunately, Xamarin has no plan on supporting Linux, so building Android projects on Linux using MonoGame is not supported.

Regarding Windows and Xamarin Studio 5, you may be interested by this issue and its associated discussion.

Or simply use Xamarin Studio 4.2.5.

There seems to be no link to the issue you mentioned. Could you post this link again?

Using Xamarin Studio 4.2.5 under Windows would be fine for me. But maybe I’m just blind but I can’t find a place where I can download oder versions of Xamarin Studio. Could you provide me a link where I can download Xamarin Studio 4.2.5?

Thank you.

Oh, my bad, I’ve updated my previous reply with the link.

To download previous version of Xamarin products, connect to your Xamarin account on their website and go to your dashboard. There you should see a “downloads” tab with the option to list previous versions.

Okay, I’ve gone to the place you mentioned. But I only see one option and if I choose it, I can download an online installer which only installs the newest version of Xamarin Studio (see screenshot). Where can I find the old version?

Screenshot: s7.directupload.net/images/140713/4nufm5gf.png

Do I have this right that it is not possible to build for Android with the free Xamarin Studio Starter?

Now that’s pretty strange, previous versions should be there. Looks like they don’t offer to download previous versions for starter edition.

With the starter edition you can build Android app, but there is a binary size limit you may hit quite quickly with MonoGame.