Learn monogame

Hi, I’m new and I want to know if exists a better way to learn monogame?

P.S. I’m sorry if I express-ed myself badly, but I’m still learning English

By “better way” what do you mean?

Also, there are plenty ways you can learn MonoGame, you can start by reading the tutorials in the documentation, or watch XNA Video Tutorials, is the same thought.

P.S: Learning english too.

Hi

Better than what?
Look for xna tutorials on google it is the same matter of things, you should find one thats fits your needs (riemers for ex)

Unfortunately, you have asked a very prescient question that the game development community has yet to provide a cognizant answer for.

Despite the many tools available and some of the excellent tutorials and documents that go along with these tools, game development is still pretty much a Black Art.

It remains so, much as CICS or communications programming did in the age of the mainframe era (of which I came out of) so that only a small group of professional developers could command very high salaries.

This aspiration is not really the same for game development but the end result is the same; only a small, select group in this aspect of the IT industry manage to get to the top of the ladder and are able to produce games that command a good revenue stream. Whether this is intentional or not is not known but may be more of a result of the inherent difficulties in learning to develop a game programmatically and well than anything else, along with the length of time it takes to develop a really high quality game

It has taken me years of research, time, and effort just for me to be able to develop the project I am currently working on and produce the technical articles that I offer on this forum for people who are interested in the type of game development I am pursuing (military simulation/war-game). And a lot of this effort has been allayed by my professional responsibilities when I was working in the corporate environments.

Based on all this here is what I can suggest…

First, research carefully the type of game you are interested in developing since each game type has different requirements and techniques for its development.

There is no one size that fits all in game development except at the most basic levels. However, game development environments like Unity attempt to provide a level of seamless integration between game genres.

Next, begin to learn just the basics for getting graphics on the screen with MonoGame. Tinker with simple primitive drawings and animations, all of which can be found in many basic tutorials for XNA, which are still around and quite prevalent. Books on XNA are still readily available on Amazon.

And since MonoGame is merely a reflection of the basic XNA namespaces and APIs (but slowly becoming far more advanced), you will have no trouble working with MonoGame using XNA constructs.

Once you feel comfortable working with basic graphic technologies in MonoGame you can then begin to branch out and begin researching and studying the techniques for the type of game design you are interested in building. Aerial simulations and war-game development are two of the most complex game development projects you can endeavor to build since the research material is scant and spread out all over the place, not because there is some unique attribute that makes such development any harder than a programmed First Person Shooter.

By the way for aerial simulation you will need to know advanced mathematics such as physics. Some of the most advanced of these types of simulations are Rise of Flight (WWI), IL2-Sturmovik (WWII), and Digital Combat Simulator (DCS), the latter which covers multiple periods. However, if this is your interest than these are the standards to set your aspirations to.

First Person Shooters and Adventure Games are somewhat easier to develop. Again, not because they are inherently easier to develop but because of their popularity there is quite a bit more information available on the various techniques used to support such development.

2D Side-Scrollers and such games as Tetris clones are probably the easiest types of games to develop simply because so many tutorials provide examples on how to program them.

Once you decide on the game type you want to work with, stick with it because the research will be long and arduous.

Use these forums for MonoGame to ask specific questions with issues you are having in learning the engine as the people here are very helpful.

If you want some additional assistance with war-game or military simulation development I can give you a hand with that. Just leave me note here or contact me through my website, http://blackfalconsoftware.com

:relaxed:

2 Likes

See if you can get hold of this book in your country:

EDIT

It is also available on Kindle

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Phone-Game-Development-ebook/dp/B00DREFRMM

1 Like