Learning how to use MonoGame

Hi, I’m generally new to programming and I’m now attempting to learn how to use MonoGame. My question is: What is the best way to learn how to use MonoGame? Should I find specific tutorials on how it works, or can I also refer to XNA tutorials since they’re somewhat the same thing?

1 Like

Any XNA 4 tutorial can be used to learn MonoGame since it implements the XNA API. There’s a link to some tutorials on the doc page: http://www.monogame.net/documentation/?page=Tutorials

My favorite beginner tutorials are:

• RB Whitaker: I learned from his XNA tutorials, he also has some explicitly for MonoGame now.
  • Riemers: XNA tutorials, I can’t seem to load his website right now, maybe some issues.
  • MrGrak: MG specific tutorial.

If you’re looking for some specific tutorials, there are a lot of those too. Ask if you need anything :slight_smile:
Good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll definitely look at these.

How could you, @Jjagg?

You left off the best source.

1 Like

Here is a nice collection of useful game development links:

2 Likes

If you’re like me, you prefer ground up, holistic information when you’re first learning things. Having said that, I’ve found this book to be pretty handy:Learning XNA 4.0: Game Development for the PC, Xbox 360, and Windows Phone 7

(I’m presuming you are already well versed with C#)

Cons:

• Its targeted at Windows and Visual Studio so if you use MonDev or Rider or whatever or are in Linux, you may have to do some adjusting or read other tutorials (especially when it comes to project setup and the content pipeline).
  • It does not really include a good section on how to cope with multiple platform deployment or GPU testing (which is something I’m looking for).

Pros:

• If you can get past the cons, IMHO it is a great starter guide for the actual coding itself and goes beyond 2D and speaks to 3D on a nice, basic level for us beginners (including some material on shaders).

Also, I really liked this guy’s tutorial series for getting started (these are free :smile: ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5dM0_J7KuY

3 Likes

He’s not

Would you still recommend the book?

Those are @Oyyou’s tutorials that he linked above :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Oops, I missed that. Now I just feel silly. :confounded:

Still, they helped me get started.

1 Like