MGCB editor not running on windows for VS 2022

I downloaded monogame a while back to work on a school project and had the same issue. Fixed it a few months ago, but came back recently.
I have the editor installed, but when I go to run it from the command line I get this message:

I’m not sure how to get it into the manifest, but I’ve installed .NET and all the latest versions. I’ve looked online for solutions, and all the command prompts have yielded no results. When I ran a command to list all dotnet tools, I got this:
I’ve tried restarting, and even have the editor in the file I’m running the project out of:
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :smiley:

The new version of Monogame, 3.8.1.303, moves the “tools” from one of the .NET global directories into your actual project folder. Make sure it is there in the .config folder, it should be called “dotnet-tools.json” and the contents should be:

{
  "version": 1,
  "isRoot": true,
  "tools": {
    "dotnet-mgcb": {
      "version": "3.8.1.303",
      "commands": [
        "mgcb"
      ]
    },
    "dotnet-mgcb-editor": {
        "mgcb-editor"
      ]
    },
    "dotnet-mgcb-editor-linux": {
        "mgcb-editor-linux"
      ]
    },
    "dotnet-mgcb-editor-windows": {
        "mgcb-editor-windows"
      ]
    },
    "dotnet-mgcb-editor-mac": {
        "mgcb-editor-mac"
      ]
    }
  }
}

Also, you should be able to simply double-click your “Content.mgcb” file and it should load the content builder. I can see on your screenshot that your file type association does not seem to be associating correctly because the “Content.mgcb” file should have the same icon as your “Icon.ico” file. Make sure you follow all the steps to upgrade to MG 3.8.1.303, I think one of them has you doing the file association bit. Also, my Content.mgcb is actually in my Content folder. Sorry I can’t remember more about this, I did it about a month ago and I don’t remember all the details.

I just revived an old thread on the same topic. I’ll point you to it: Can't open MGCB editor

Ok so I’ve done everything you’ve suggested; I’ve upgraded it to version 3.8.1.303 and got the correct .NET version

I also had a look within the frameworks of the program itself and found the same thing:

And I’ve also got the .json file in the .config folder as well

I’ve moved Content.mgcb into the Content folder as you suggested, but it’s still not registering. Any other ideas?
Thank you for the help

Did you do the install from command line?

dotnet tool install -g dotnet-mgcb