"mgcb-editor --register" error

Using arch-linux and .Net6.0

When i’m trying to execute mgcb-editor --register I get the following error:

Could not execute because the specified command or file was not found.                                                                   
Possible reasons for this include:
  * You misspelled a built-in dotnet command.
  * You intended to execute a .NET program, but dotnet-mgcb-editor-linux does not exist.
  * You intended to run a global tool, but a dotnet-prefixed executable with this name could not be found on the PATH.

dotnet-mgcb-editor-linux is installed and working, but still I get that error while trying to execute that command.

This is my first time with MonoGame and I’m really lost about what to do after it :frowning:

I think this happened to me when I tried it under an older Ubuntu once before. However I noticed that I was still able to use MGCB without any issues so - maybe it works anyway (question mark?) [I’m still not sure what register thingy is for]

As of MonoGame 3.8.1, the MGCB Editor is no more designed as a .NET global tool (and doesn’t need to be registered). It is now a project tool defined project templates (please make sure that you have a .config/dotnet-tools.json properly configured) which will be installed automatically. You can access it either via the CLI (dotnet mgcb-editor from within the project/solution folder) or by double-clicking a .mgcb file when the Visual Studio extension is installed (the mac extension need to be installed from downloading the mpack here).

More details, for reference (we’ll update the migration documentation).

3 Likes

Run the following command in cmd:

dotnet tool uninstall --global dotnet-mgcb-editor
dotnet tool uninstall --global dotnet-mgcb

and use Visual Studio Template to create a monogame project and click Content.mgcb to open editor