MGCB.exe is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running

Hi,I am having a problem creating a project using MonoGame, Visual Studio Community2015 and Windows 10.

I get the following error messages when I build the project:

1>------ Build started: Project: Matchex, Configuration: Debug x86 ------
1> This version of C:\Program Files\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\Tools\MGCB.exe is not compatible with the version of Windows you’re running. Check your computer’s system information and then contact the software publisher.
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\MonoGame.Content.Builder.targets(89,5): error MSB3073: The command ““C:\Program Files\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\Tools\MGCB.exe” /@:“c:\users\henry\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\Matchex\Matchex\Content\Content.mgcb” /platform:Windows /outputDir:“c:\users\henry\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\Matchex\Matchex\Content\bin\Windows” /intermediateDir:“c:\users\henry\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\Matchex\Matchex\Content\obj\Windows” /quiet” exited with code 216.
========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I correct this?

Regard

Henry “Pops” Hugo

Are you running on a 32bit machine? I think MGCB builds for 64bit these days… I could be wrong.
Also have you tried the latest development release?

Yes I am on a 32 bit machine. I have loaded all the latest software.

Can I go bakc to an earlier release that is 32 bit?

MGCB was never fully supported in 32-bit mode. We dropped 32-bit libraries on Windows a long time ago. Having to support both 32- and 64-bit native libraries on Windows is far more effort than the number of 32-bit Windows PCs these days. The latest Steam Hardware Survey shows less than 10% of gamers use 32-bit Windows now, and the proportion of devs using 32-bit will be even less than that. OS X has been all 64-bit for many years now, and most Linux systems now are 64-bit too.

@Henry_Hugo - If you really want to continue to use 32bit Windows you can always go add back 32bit support to the content tools:

Still I would recommend looking at moving to 64bit Windows… likely your PC hardware already supports it and all you need is to update Windows.

I remember that :smile:

FYI with the source code it is very easy to build 2mgfx.exe as a 32 bit program and is what I ended up doing as I’m stuck in 32 bit land still! The issue above contains what needs to be changed. (That was with Monogame 3.2, haven’t tried with later versions yet)