Monogame 3.5 is for 64 bit OS only?

I wanted to try out Monogame but I can’t seem to make it work… I’m getting an error “The Monogame content tools only work on a 64bit OS”. I don’t know what to do/how to fix that… I’m so confused right now…

Building content only works from a 64 bit OS…

Uhm, I still don’t get it… Could you please elaborate it more?

I’m getting the error (OP) every time I try to run the template…

Here is the error:
1>------ Build started: Project: MyFirstGame, Configuration: Debug x86 ------
1> The MonoGame content tools only work on a 64bit OS.
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\MonoGame.Content.Builder.targets(89,5): error MSB3073: The command ““C:\Program Files\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\Tools\MGCB.exe” /@:“c:\users\md\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\MyFirstGame\MyFirstGame\Content\Content.mgcb” /platform:Windows /outputDir:“c:\users\md\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\MyFirstGame\MyFirstGame\Content\bin\Windows” /intermediateDir:“c:\users\md\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\MyFirstGame\MyFirstGame\Content\obj\Windows” /quiet” exited with code -1.
========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Your operating system is 32 bit, you need a 64 bit operating system, if you don’t know what that means, Google it.

I know what that means… What I wanted to know is if Monogame 3.5 is only supported for 64 bit systems. Which I guess it is.

You can download Visual Studio 2010 Express, C# + XNA 4.0 Refresh
Or
Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone

To create assets into .xnb’s to use in XNA and/or MonoGame apps/games.

Is there any other way for me to fix this w/ Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition?

If no, then I think I got no choice but to move on to LibGDX or Unity instead :frowning:

The native libraries for the content build pipeline on Windows are built for 64-bit only because large assets need the extra memory, trying to support 32- and 64-bit native binaries in an extensible toolchain on Windows is a very difficult task, and also the 64-bit Windows install base is around 90% now.

The applications built with MonoGame can run on 32- or 64-bit Windows.

2 Likes