MonoGame 3.8.1 Android project conflicts with Xamarin.Android.Support.v4

I am trying to migrate my Android/iOS game to MonoGame 3.8.1 - in doing so I created a blank solution and created new projects using MonoGame 3.8.1 templates. Android project is now targeting .NET 6.0 which seems to be incompatible with Xamarin.Android.Support.v4 which only targets monoandroid90. I get the following error upon build:

/Users/kurt/.nuget/packages/xamarin.android.support.annotations/28.0.0.3/build/monoandroid90/Xamarin.Android.Support.Annotations.targets(3,3): Error MSB4062: The “Xamarin.Android.Support.BuildTasks.VerifyVersionsTask” task could not be loaded from the assembly /Users/kurt/.nuget/packages/xamarin.android.support.annotations/28.0.0.3/build/monoandroid90/Xamarin.Android.Support.BuildTasks.dll. Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.Build.Utilities.v4.0, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’. The system cannot find the file specified.
Confirm that the declaration is correct, that the assembly and all its dependencies are available, and that the task contains a public class that implements Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask. (MSB4062) (Mariasek.AndroidClient)