MonoGame Logo Licenses

What are the licenses for the MonoGame logos? I can’t find information on the repository or website.

You can assume the logo is under this license:

Microsoft Public License (MS-PL) | Open Source Initiative

I found this on the GitHub under the MG Licence link, found here: GitHub - MonoGame/MonoGame: One framework for creating powerful cross-platform games.

As the logo is a proponent of the project, it makes sense the logo falls under its purview, though, hopefully someone chimes in… @Tom ?

Have you tried asking in the doscord?

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn’t want to assume anything since the repository doesn’t cover the license. I filed an issue but haven’t received a response yet. I don’t use Discord so I can’t ask there. Hopefully one of the maintainers will know the answer. I appreciate the help!

Good question. I’ve actually never considered it. I don’t know how an OSS license would cover a logo. We wouldn’t want anyone to think they could just use the MG logo for their own purposes.

Thoughts @mrhelmut @dellis1972 @CartBlanche @harry-cpp ?

I’ll figure it out and get back to you.

2 Likes

Blender has this page: Logo — blender.org

1 Like

If someone has time to contribute a fix to the repo that would help.

https://github.com/MonoGame/MonoGame.Logo/issues/5#issuecomment-1094143449

2 Likes

I love this!

The Katakana one…

Hmm…

MG モノゲーム

Just for fun…

Yeah, I was wondering about the Logo flexibility, and if we could create our own too, to avoid needing to buy those fonts per project…

I think it may be time to look deeper into this aspect…

And I wish more projects released would mention MonoGame in their intros… 🪄

I gave some thought to it in the github issue. The blender license type looks like what would be best suited IMO.

Just chiming in on that, the thing is, Blender is a registered entity… whereas MonoGame, is yet to be?

I think mirroring theirs could bring up other legal issues…