Monogame .NET Core

I am working on a game and I am trying to use serialization. After hours of research, I have come to the conclusion that it is because I am using .NET Core, not.NETframework. How do I make a monogame project that uses the .net framework instead?

I have already explained this to you in your other thread.

This depends on what IDE you are using. If you are using MIcrosoft’s Visual Code you are relegated to the .NET Core Frame work (to my knowledge).

If you want to use the full .NET Framework you will have to use the Visual Studio Community Edition, which is a free download…

1 Like

I figured it out. The VS 2017 Universal Template uses .NET Core. I had to take the VS 2025 Template off my friend’s computer and build a project off that to use the .NET Framework.

The templates only affect how your project and solution are set up. Anything that you can get with a template, you can also get without one. I imagine if you edit the csproj, the difference is something like changing the imported targets from $(VSToolsPath)\DotNet\Microsoft.DotNet.targets to $(MSBuildToolsPath)\Microsoft.CSharp.targets