MonoGame on Ubuntu 14.04 with Monodevelop 4

I’ve been spending all day trying to get MonoGame working on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with the software center’s Monodevelop 4… The latest provided package for Linux (MG 3.0.1) on MonoGame’s download page won’t install (which I’ve gathered is because I’m using MD 4 instead of 3). I’ve managed to get the current (as of today) MonoGame-Master branch Monogame.Framework.Linux solution to compile by downloading the current OpenTK 1.1.0 release (http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentk/files/latest/download) and copying the OpenTK.dll and OpenTK.dll.config files to the “MonoGame-Master/ThirdParty/Libs” folder. Please excuse my unfamiliarity with the build process and Monodevelop, but I don’t know how to properly use and create a project using the outputted Lidgren.Network.dll, MonoGame.Framework.dll, etc.

Would it be better for me just to find a way to install Monodevelop 3 and use the MG 3.0.1 package on the download page? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I’m planning on writing up a tutorial on how to get MonoGame up and running once this is all figured out! It seems like a great framework; I haven’t used XNA since about 2009 but I’d love to get back into it!

Hello,

I had the same problem quite sometime ago. The way I was able to get around this was by downloading “MonoGame 3.0.1 for XamarinStudio” and adding/installing that to my Monodevelop 4. It should install without issue, however you will need to install some additional libs to get your games/projects to compile correctly, I just don’t remember which ones as it has been a very long time!

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Worked like a charm! Thanks a million!

I ended up removing everything I’d installed today to start fresh, then installed Monodevelop 4 from the Software Center. Then it was as simple as downloading the XamarinStudio .mpack file and adding it in to Monodevelop as an addin. Thanks again!