New MonoGame project, OpenAL could not be initialized

I just installed MonoGame 3.7.1 for Visual Studio 2017 and after creating a new cross platform project and trying to debug it, I get the error mentioned in the title. Here is a screenshot:

However, looking at the solution explorer, I see that the libraries for OpenAL are there:

I tried going to the OpenAL website and installed the binary they give, but I still get the same error. What am I doing wrong?

Are all audio sources on your computer disabled? This exception is thrown when the audio system cannot be initialized.

The problem is not as clear as it seems, the solution is under my comment:

Could you check the stack trace in the inner exception? We can’t really tell what’s up without it.

Having the same issue.

StackTrace" at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.OpenALSoundController.OpenSoundController()\r\n at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.OpenALSoundController..ctor()\r\n at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.OpenALSoundController.get_GetInstance()\r\n at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.SdlGamePlatform..ctor(Game game)\r\n at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.ctor()\r\n at Game1.ctor() in Game1.cs:line 15\r\n at Program.Main() in\Program.cs:line 16"string

Please try a development build, the issue has been fixed.

I’m getting the same problem. The game project I created using the same PC, VS2017 and MG template a few months back still loads and runs fine but any new project I create fails with the above error as soon as you run it.

Any ideas?

EDIT: It was the # issue. I recently moved my test projects to a folder beginning with a Hash to keep them at the top!