Physics (Again)

I have spent the last couple of days looking for a 3D physics engine that plays nicely with MonoGame.

To save you some time, these are my results so far.

• BepuPhysics
    There are two versions, 1.1 seems like it may work with MonoGame, but it looks very slow for collision checking.
    1.2 I cannot get to compile. Looks like it uses a new C# spec that is only available with pro versions of Visual Studio.

• Henge3D
    This was written for XNA and sadly uses a custom content processor to add physics variables to meshes. I tried working around that to make it more useful, but a simple cube kills performance. Spheres are fine you can have millions of them. In the end though I decided it was more trouble than it is worth.

• Bullet
    I went through BulletSharp, couldn’t get it to compile. However I found BulletXNA which someone wrote some time ago.
    This also was written in a very strange way, though the class library itself looks ok. I have ported it to MonoGame and reworked all the demos so you can run them from a single windows app.
    At the moment this looks the favorite for my use, though I am pretty sure there is a memory leak in it somewhere.

Anyway, to save you time if you are in the same position as I am, I have published the code on my website.

http://southseagamesgurus.co.uk/downloads.html

They are quick hacks just to test the physics, but you can grab and play with them if you wish.

summoned bepuguy here:
v2 does indeed require C# 7.3, but the free VS Community supports it. It just requires version 15.7 or higher.

A bigger concern is runtime support- it uses numerics JIT intrinsics for performance, so any runtime that doesn’t support them will be an order of magnitude slower. RyuJIT handles it just fine, but I haven’t looked into the state of the mono runtime lately.

(And while v1 certainly is slow relative to v2, I dunno if I’d call it slow in absolute terms :stuck_out_tongue: )

Hi Norbo,

V1 will be incredibly slow when you start having more than a 1000 collidable objects in the world. I have even seen demos which prove that. I am not saying that is terminal for it, it is possible to add code to speed up the collision detection, it’s just that I wouldn’t start with a physics engine knowing I had to do that work.

I have many versions of visual studio installed, v2 will not compile on any of them. My 2017 is only version 15.0 , so that matches what you expect to happen.

I will be interested to see what you end up doing with it. Will you have time to see if you can drop it into MonoGame again and provide some analytics ?

[quote=“StainlessTobii, post:3, topic:11065”]
V1 will be incredibly slow when you start having more than a 1000 collidable objects in the world. I have even seen demos which prove that.[/quote]
There may be shenanigans afoot- that doesn’t sound like expected behavior unless running on an old phone or something. On a 3770K in v1 with multithreading enabled and default settings, 1000 active dynamic boxes arranged in a big wall should take about 4-7ms per frame. 4096 characters running around on a world composed of 1600 static instanced meshes should take about 15-17ms per frame. Do you see wildly different numbers on comparable hardware?

[quote=“StainlessTobii, post:3, topic:11065”]
I will be interested to see what you end up doing with it. Will you have time to see if you can drop it into MonoGame again and provide some analytics ?[/quote]
I won’t be making a monogame specific version of the demos, but I will probably look into the mono runtime in more detail in the next few months if it has re-enabled the vector JIT intrinsics since I last tried.

Hi Norbo,

Ahhh I see the basic problem. 4-7 mS IS a very long time for me.

When you have 8mS to present a frame to the hardware using 7 of them for collision detection isn’t going to work :wink:

Just to avoid possible confusion, v1 and the native version of Bullet tend to have pretty similar performance. If one works, most likely the other will too. A pure collision detection simulation of 1000 boxes will be a whole lot cheaper than a very dense solver heavy simulation.

(Sorry for dragging this off topic, I’ll quit bugging you now :wink:)