Portable for 3.8

Hello community,

I’ve been looking through a bunch of tutorials to help my process through developing an android game and I’ve come across one explaining how to setup my project in a way that I could eventually port the game over to PC using shared code. However, there is one point where I need to reference the MonoGame.Framework.Portable package in order for my shared class to be used throughout the other platforms, but unfortunately the MonoGame.Framework.Portable package is not compatible with MG 3.8 since the package is for the .Net Framework version.

I may be missing something, but is there another way to get this to work with 3.8 since it uses .Net Core instead of the .Net Framework?

I think I have solved my problem. I noticed that MonoGame comes with a project called MonoGame NetStandard Library which I believe is what I am looking for.

Check out https://github.com/Kwyrky/MonoGame.Kickstarter maybe you want to try it. Basically download a script, run a command and you get a solution with a project for shared code (net standard library).
For Android some additional manual steps are necessary but these should hopefully be simple enough following the description. The solution has no disadvantage because under the hood it just does run the same commands you could run manually to setup everything using the net core CLI / dotnet tool.

1 Like

Ah thank you!

Check out this thread also for additional info MonoGame Kickstarter

Have you confirmed that the MonoGame NetStandard starter works for cross-platform games? It loads the DesktopGL package, which seems wrong to me, but if it works it works.

Get the MonoGame Kickstarter script, use git bash and enter one command and you should have proof that it works cross platform. It uses a netstandard library for code and content sharing.