problem setting up....

I feel kinda bad. disappointed. the mere act of setting it up and playing the initial file produced an error since yesterday, been trying for hours.

i’m following the book learning C by programming games with monogame.

the book initially desires you to download visual studio 2017 and monogame 3.6. i have. i have also installed the modern versions. i have tried it all. and i keep getting thie error:

#1: there were build errors

#2: respos/project6/project6/bin/debug/net6.0/project6.exe specified in the debug profile does not exist.

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error MSB3073 The command dotnet mgcb /quiet /@:C:\Users\Marly\source\repos\Project6\Project6\Content\Content.mgcb /platform:DesktopGL /outputDir:C:/Users/Marly/source/repos/Project6/Project6/Content/bin/DesktopGL/Content /intermediateDir:C:/Users/Marly/source/repos/Project6/Project6/Content/obj/DesktopGL/net6.0/Content /workingDir:C:/Users/Marly/source/repos/Project6/Project6/Content/ exited with code -532462766. Project6 C:\Users\Marly.nuget\packages\monogame.content.builder.task\3.8.1.303\build\MonoGame.Content.Builder.Task.targets 142

i’d really like some help because I prefer spending my time learning instead of being stuck, hehe.

thanks!

I think the book you are following is out dated.
Update to the newest VS Studio version.
You wrote you are using MonoGame 3.6, but the error message you provided says 3.8.1.303 (which is the newest one)
Use the newest version of MonoGame (3.8.1.303), the newest version of VS Studio, and the templates should work out of the box with no problem.
I personally never had a problem booting up the Desktop templates (OpenGL and DirectX)
Please feel free to ask here on the forums again, people here are very welcoming.

I know. But I didn’t want to use the older versions because they didn’t seem to work anymore, so I downloaded the newest version of both monogame and VS. then I got the error message there.

I did everything according to:

https://docs.monogame.net/articles/getting_started/1_setting_up_your_development_environment_windows.html

right up until the part where you run pong. there I got the error message

If you are on the newest version of Visual Studio, and the newest version of MG (which you are), I don’t know what could be wrong. Maybe try to update .NET target to .NET 7 or 8?
Hang on, there will be people on the forum way more knowledgeable answering you.
I hope you get up and running soon, because it’s a blast working with MG.
Please join the Discord (MonoGame Discord), people there answer fast, and they have a fantastic list of libraries that get you up to speed in no time

Thanks for your help either way! And yes I just joined the discord and am already talking there. :slight_smile:

Do you know of any list containing all the books that use monogame? My university used monogame so to me it’s a very trustworthy base.

1 Like

I haven’t been reading books, I’ve been primarily looking into these libs:

Docs: Introduction | Nez

Docs: Introduction | MonoGame.Extended

To see how they did things, have been making a scene-system, scene-transitions and scene-graph based on their techniques. Than I found the libs in the Discord, which is also very useful.

This guy makes short but useful videos about different topics in MG:

This guy makes fine videos on renderTarget (for multiple resolution support), physics, etc

This guy introduces you to shaders with a jitter-free pixel art shader

Hi @Bompi_Lsf, Welcome to the Community!

Be sure to check this post on the discord forum:

It should help you get going asap.

Happy Coding!