Problem with MonoGame 3.4 in Ubuntu 14.04.1

I’m attempting to install MonoGame 3.4 on Ubuntu 14.04.1. First I attempted to follow the steps from the documentation.

Everything went alright until I got to this part:

cd Downloads
chmod +x monogame_linux.run
sudo ./monogame_linux.run

There is no monogame_linux.run file until after I add run permissions to generate.sh and makeself.sh inside the Makeself directory, then run generate.sh. Even then the documentation is incorrect because the file generated is called monogame-linux.run, not monogame_linux.run.

I’m not quite sure why the documentation is unclear about those things. Am I missing something, or does the documentation need to be fixed?

Then I run into a real problem when I try to run monogame-linux.run as root:

Verifying archive integrity... All good. Uncompressing Monogame Pipeline Installer................................................................. ./monogame-linux.run: 1: eval: ./postinstall.sh: Permission denied

This error persists even after I add run permissions to the file postinstall.sh inside Data/RUN.

I’d appreciate it if anyone could help me work this problem out.

I also tried to install MonoGame by building the source. Following the steps, everything seemed to be successful until I opened MonoDevelop (v 4.0.12) to try it out. There is no add-in for MonoGame projects and I can’t add it from the add-in manager, or any file present in the repo.

So I think my problem could be resolved in one of two ways:

1. Fix the postinstall.sh error when installing from the release build
  2. Help me with the MonoDevelop add-in for MonoDevelop 4.0.12 after building MonoGame from source.

Thanks in advance for any answers! I’m excited to get started with MonoGame.

I’ll update the documentation a little bit later today…

Anyway: