Questions regarding Xbox One support

UWP(or UAP) support has been added few months ago,so yea, you should theoretically be able to make Xbox One games now, just remember to use the development release because of Gamepad support.

As for MonoGame in the game partition on XB1… things have changed, but we haven’t fully started on it yet. I can’t talk about the details publicly. If you really need XB1 support soon you should contact me via email.

Good news everyone!

MonoGame Support
Microsoft’s XNA programming framework isn’t supported natively on Xbox One, but there’s an open source solution for developers called MonoGame. This news is a little overdue, but we’re stoked that MonoGame support will be coming to Xbox One soon, thanks to Tom Spilman and our friends at Sickhead Games.

And we’re really excited to be able to welcome MonoGame with a bang, thanks to a partnership with another developer named Tom – Tom Happ. I met Tom at an indie dev event shortly after we confirmed that XNA was not natively supported on Xbox One, and I remember being super bummed that his game was not going to be able to come to Xbox One straight away. Well, today I’m stoked to be able to say that Tom’s game, Axiom Verge, is going to be one of the first games shipping on Xbox One using MonoGame. And hopefully that’s just the first of many!

4 Likes

So is this announced support on X1 native and it’s running in game partition, or is it UWP?

“MonoGame support will be coming to Xbox One soon”

Two questions requiring categorical answers:

1. Does “Monogame support” mean “Monogame will run in the native partition” and not just via UWP (as is now)?
  2. Exactly when is “soon”?

… because as it is, we are currently stuck with UWP and no way of testing it on XB1 hardware.

saw twitter answering my question, cool :slight_smile: GJ guys

While it is a great step for MonoGame I can’t contain my bitterness.

So, XNA is in the point, 5 years later, it should have been hadn’t they slayed the XNA program, and they present that as great news. And with a very restricted indie program, not only with the ID@Xbox but also with the UWP initiative (where now Microsoft decides which games can enter in the top ranking and which not, not only on Xbox but in Win10 and WP10 too).

I’m very happy for MonoGame but very sad for the way Microsoft is doing things with the UWP ecosystem.

That is the cool thing… we will be supporting both.

Last year MS showed a MonoGame game running on XB1 via UWP. It works great and a UWP game looks identical to any other game on the platform. Like they said last year you will be able to do development on a retail XB1. I don’t know when this will be opened up an available to developers… but it seems to be soon… GDC or Build. This will be a good solution for many indie devs.

However the thing announced this week is MonoGame support for exclusive partition games. This is a completely different code path than UWP and is still under development. There are some advantages to being on the exclusive partition which might be useful to some games… still I suspect most indies will opt for UWP.

So things are good.

None of that should be shocking.

There will always be a cut off where some features… like Xbox Achievements… won’t be something any game can use without approval from MS. They have the unenviable problem of making an open store where developers can easily ship games… but not have it fill up with fart apps and the typical garbage you see in the less restricted mobile space.

It is a difficult balance to strike and it will be interested to see where it goes. They are not just supporting UWP on XB1 so that only a couple of developers can use it. They obviously want lots of UWP games and apps to appear on the platform. How they do this and not have a race to the bottom on quality and price like in every other store?

Regardless I expect things to be better than XNA on 360. It will just take a little more time.

1 Like

Indeed - I’d expect this to be better than XNA, following Microsoft’s acquisition of Xamarin surely it’s just a matter of time before it’s free to port MonoGame-written games to iOS, Android, Linux, PS4 etc. It has to be in MS’ interest to encourage games and apps to be written for Windows 10 first (be that UWA or not) and be easily ported to the competitor platforms.

The problem here is who decides the definition of garbage. To put an example (which is driving me out of bussiness) my best game so far is a Windows Phone 8 FPS which ok, is not a top notch game, but honestly I think it’s not garbage at all.

Well, it seems it doesn’t qualify for the new UWP store. I’ve been fighting for 5 months to get a straight answer about why the game is not present in the top rankings for UWP-WP10. Answer so far: it just doesn’t enter the rankings, but you can spend money on promotion.

Considering that the game is the first FPS on several countries for WP8/WP8.1, and that gets 190.000 downloads a month with a 4.5 stars rating, it’s just hard to understand it needs promotion, specially when I have really crap games that I wouldn’t say a word if they were banned with 1/10th the downloads and far lower star rating.

Honestly, if Microsoft is doing this with the Phone store, I don’t want to know what will do with XBox one UWP. Yes, you’ll be able to make your games on XOne (which is always nice) but the chances to make it profitable will be slim if they arbitrarily decide who enters the Top ranking and who doesn’t.

shameless link: Microsoft Apps (one year with the new store and they still haven’t been able to fix horizontal screenshots for phones. Developers developers developers.)

Sorry for the offtopic, this doesn’t have anything to do with MonoGame. You’re all doing a great job :slight_smile:

Here are some games that do appear in the top 10 games…

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/GAMES/hill-climb-racing/9wzdncrdcwk8
Microsoft Apps

Hardly a works of art… both made by small indie developers.

My random guess… your game is listed as an “app”? See your url:

Microsoft Apps

That would seem to immediately keep it out of the top 10 list of games I would think.

Also i wouldn’t be surprised if they filter out titles with leading underscores… it is weird to see that in a title of a game and suggest to me some fake app pretending to be something it is not.

1 Like

This is probably the most meaningful answer I’ve received in 5 months and hundreds of emails with several guys at microsoft, However I don’t think this is the problem. If you change ‘apps’ for ‘games’ and viceversa, both zombie doom hd and hill climb racing also appear. It looks more a “mod_rewrite” rule on the server than a definition of what the app/game is.

All my banned games are marked as games in the devcenter. (the non-banned too)

That’s the problem, if something like this might be the cause I can’t see why microsoft can’t tell me that reason after 5 months. But I fear the reason is unknown and will remain unknown, and unfortunately this is enough to move to other stores, I can’t spend 6 months developing a game to just get “banned” for no clear reason and no feedback about it.