[Solved]16bit per channel texture

After 32 bit per channel HDR ( which I solve by compiling it in XNA) I am in need for one more texture/image format. In this case I am not sure even original XNA supported something like that. I need greyscale image, one channel, with 16 color bit depth on that channel (ofc if is it standard 3/4 channel 16 bit each I can easily live with that).

PNG alpha channel is one possibility, provided it is saved well. Other, and that would be ideal, is tiff. Any idea what XNA/Mono could support and I should try?

Sorry, forget that DDS is accepted by XNA. Thus it works http://s18.postimg.org/ecbyudcbd/ADD_2.png (height map)

Hi Ravendarke, I’m trying to load DDS files in Monogame (exported from GIMP) but Monogame keeps giving an unsupported pixel format error. Just wondering which pixel format / compression you used when exporting the DDS files to get them to load in Monogame ?

Although… looks like GIMP can’t export 16bit DDS formats…

Any suggestions on what tools I can use to edit 16 bit grayscale heightmaps and load them in Monogame ?

Pretty much any that can carry it, .hdr, even .png. Just click it in Content pipeline, scroll down and change Texture format to “No change”, default - color, will get changed into 4byte format

Awesome, thank you