[SOLVED] Enable/Adjust frame skipping

Hi there,

yet another question from me : )

I am working on an engine that, in some cases, has to display very large meshes (about 3GiB in RAM). You see, that’s not the usual use case and in opposition to other use cases I would like to have frame skipping.

I noticed that without frame skipping, interaction is useless. It shows like 10 FPS, but what I get as reaction to my input seems to be something like 1 FPS.

If I draw only every fifth frame it stays pretty usable (still choppy - of course - but that’s alright).

So is there a way to enable or adjust the frame skipping in MonoGame?

Or can you think of a better way to achieve what I want?

Thanks for reading :wink:

Georg

Move to multi-threaded rendering.

There are many tutorials out there to show you how but it means your update thread where you do all the user input keeps running at 60hz while the renderer runs as fast as it can

I’ll have a look. Thank you : )

Are there MonoGame-specific tutorials. Unfortunately I could not find any. I might have been searching with the wrong terms? Would be great if you could point be in the right direction.

Cheers, Georg

And for my original question: is that possible? (frame skipping settings)

Alright. I was using MonoGame in WPF. Update and Draw where called 60 times a second from WPF. Without WPF frame skipping seems to be working fine - interaction stays responsive. So this seems to be the culprit. I’ll have to think of a way to do frameskipping here myself. Let’s see how MonoGame does it by default.

I’ll let you know how it worked out.

Thanks for your Ideas :wink:

This thread is solved. If you are interested, I opened an issue at GitHub.

@Jjagg Could you please rename this as well?