[SOLVED]Skinned FBX - A noob's nightmare

Using:

• Tutorial for Skinned Sample in MonoGame (found in here)
  • Visual Studio 2017 and MonoGame 3.6
  • FBX export (2012) - baked animation - resample (2 of 3 objects have no UV cords)
    Noticed when building Content Pipeline Extension, by default it shows Content.Pipeline reference but indicates it can’t actually find it — so I add it with browse - C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\Tools\MonoGame.Framework.Content.Pipeline.dll
    So I fixed that problem - builds fine.
    Trouble:
    Added the pipeline .dll to Content and set file to process using it. Build it and it says Failed showing no error int the MG Content Pipeline - but in VStudio console it does show this:
    Error
    The command ““C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\MonoGame\v3.0\Tools\MGCB.exe” /@:“C:\Users\JEI\Documents\Visual Studio 2017\Projects\Game3D\Game3D\Content\Content.mgcb” /platform:DesktopGL /outputDir:“C:\Users\JEI\Documents\Visual Studio 2017\Projects\Game3D\Game3D\Content\bin\DesktopGL” /intermediateDir:“C:\Users\JEI\Documents\Visual Studio 2017\Projects\Game3D\Game3D\Content\obj\DesktopGL” /quiet” exited with code 1.
    I was careful to ensure everything in the models are simple and “zeroed-out” properly.
    2 of mine don’t work and 2 from 2 other ppl also don’t work. I can’t figure out if it’s the code or the FBX that has issues.

*** Even any ideas at all would be helpful - I’m wondering about what I might code to check for problems in the pipeline extension? (ie: perhaps it just doesn’t like the FBX or isn’t interpreting correctly for some reason)?

[ps: If I ever do figure this out I’d like to create a set of concrete steps that anyone can follow from versions vs version, to modeling to animating to exporting to importing and to programming to make sure it all works fine - cuz holy crap it seems a lot of ppl struggle a lot with this. XD ]

Got a little further. I put some extra feedback into the extension. Before it wasn’t showing the error in output but now it does… not sure why it’s different now. This is what it says for any FBX I export when I try to build:
"Found animation for bone ‘SomeGeometryObject’, which is not part of the skeleton.
Where "SomeGeometryObject is always the skinned mesh. When I look at the FBX file I don’t see it marked as a “limbnode” but as a “mesh”… I’m a bit lost… I’ll have to study the FBX file format more and see if I can figure out how to bypass it

UPDATE: Hadn’t worked on it for a while - gave up… then just for a sec on a hunch - went back and tried manually pulling out animation curve nodes relating to the mesh stuff. ie:

DELETED THESE:

;AnimCurveNode::T, Model::MyGeoCreature
C: "OP",1388267520,1398244784, "Lcl Translation"

;AnimCurveNode::R, Model::MyGeoCreature
C: "OP",1388274688,1398244784, "Lcl Rotation"

;AnimCurveNode::S, Model::MyGeoCreature
C: "OP",1388372864,1398244784, "Lcl Scaling"

That’s what it didn’t like… NOW IT WORKS!!!

YAY!!! :smile:

1 Like

YAH! Tried it on my other characters - same magic trick - just pull out the TransRotScale AnimCurveNode for Models
Works for all animated characters now! Animations look perfect! I even have their shadows now :smile:
Now I just gotta connect the playspeed with the analog control and create an elastic orbit-cam.

1 Like

This looks really cool! What kind of game are you making?

Thanks :slight_smile: I have a 2d one I’m making now but I was planning ahead working on something 3D on the side (kinda on the drawing board still). Thinking of something in a different sorta magical-tech world… ummm kind-of a social/action-RPG - thoughts of DarkCloud2 come to mind but also elements that remind me of SilentHill, Animal Crossing, Star Ocean, Golden Axe, Diablo and Space Quest. Ummm… we’ll just say action-rpg (maybe with some procedurally generated areas and sandbox elements). I’m open to ideas right now. :wink:

1 Like