Strange windowed borderless screen capture issue

If I create a new project in visual studio using the crossplatform OpenGL template, and then make one slight change to the initialize method to do what I believe is windowed borderless (still windowed but covering the whole screen):

protected override void Initialize()
    {
        // TODO: Add your initialization logic here
        _graphics.HardwareModeSwitch = false;
        _graphics.ApplyChanges();
        _graphics.ToggleFullScreen();

base.Initialize();
    }

It covers the whole screen with cornflower blue as expected. But if I press printscreen while looking at the blue covering my screen, then paste it into Paint, it doesn’t capture the blue screen at all - I just see the visual studio window behind it.

This problem only appears after toggling fullscreen - if I comment that line out, then printscreen captures the window normally.

This problem shows up with other screen capture methods also. If I try to share my screen over Zoom, it can share the blue screen temporarily, but if I click on the window then the screenshare seems to “lose” that window. XBox Game Bar (windows+G) will not allow recording, the “record” button is greyed out and it says “Gaming features aren’t available for the Windows desktop or File Explorer” (which seems to suggest it’s trying to record the desktop itself, not the game window).

Am I missing something? Why would this happen? I’m using Windows 10 with the latest Monogame version.

Well, taking screen shots is something the os does, so I think it will decide how to do that ie what to depict… It’s like how it gives you notifications after being in full screen and it says “while you were gaming”… screen shot depicts what you are running full-screen, whether that is just your os or some game… If your os is the main screen, it will include anything in a window, so if you exclude the window, windows ignores it. Maybe? - You might need to ask the windows community or read up on how exactly windows does screen shots. :slight_smile: