TMX Importer for WP8

Hey guys. I spent an little while yesterday setting up stuff like Box2D, understanding Monogame, etc. In a quick search for a TMX tiled map importer, it seemed like lots of them were available for WP8 and Monogame. As it turns out, pretty much all of them target WP7 or XNA specifically, making it incompatible with WP8/Monogame unless you do something about it.

Unfortunately it appears I don’t have a good enough understanding of how the programs really work behind the scenes so I’m sort of at a loss as to how I should deal with this. Many suggest recompiling the .dlls to target WP8 or to remove references to XNA and replace them with Monogame. I tried both and I really don’t think I know what I’m doing.

I think it would be awesome if someone could point me in the right direction or supply me with one of these fabled recompiled .dll files that are compatible with both WP8 and Monogame. I actually found one version of XTiled that seemed to work for WP8, but it requires use of a “Custom Content Processor,” another thing I’m totally unfamiliar with and that doesn’t appear as an option in the “Properties” box of my file, as it apparently should.

I’ve noticed that not a ton of people are talking about TMX files here, by the way. Is there a better alternative? What do you guys use for building levels?

Sorry for all the questions! I’ve been running around in circles for hours trying to get a TMX importer that works. Thanks for any help.

Very interested in this if anyone has found one or is looking for one with information.

I was not able to find any TMX parser that would work both Windows Phone And Windows Store Runtime apps. So I started my own project.
Download the latest source code and feel free to test and leave your comments.

New version available as a NuGet package for testing.

@tippy Im having the exact same problem. Coming back to monogames after about 6 years I was thrilled to port my old XNA 4 games into the lates MonoGames build (3.8).

My XNA games rely heavily on TMX maps using xTiled as mapper. I’ve now spent several days trying to get my old xTiled assembly working with MonoGames - and I am amazed by the lack of resources/guides/documentation regarding this issue.

As @tippy - I’m also wondering if TMX no longer is the way to go for building 2d maps with layers and objects? Since theres so little information about it.

The xTiled library were extremely powerfull - letting you handle all TMX objects and layers in a very free and simple way. I’m very suprized it has not followed along within the MonoGame community.

Any tip, hand on guide or resource helping me to get the xTiled framework working with latest MonoGames would be very appriciated!