Visual Studio for mac "Could not copy sdl2.dll because it was not found"

I’m running into this error when creating a new cross platform solution in VS for mac 2017, with monogame 3.6. I create a new “Monogame Cross Platform Desktop Applicaton” solution, and try to build it. I get these errors:

/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.8.1/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(5,5): Error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/MonoGame/v3.0/Assemblies/DesktopGL/x86/SDL2.dll" because it was not found. (MSB3030) (TerrainGeneratorMono.Desktop) /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.8.1/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(5,5): Error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/MonoGame/v3.0/Assemblies/DesktopGL/x64/SDL2.dll" because it was not found. (MSB3030) (TerrainGeneratorMono.Desktop) /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.8.1/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(5,5): Error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/MonoGame/v3.0/Assemblies/DesktopGL/x86/soft_oal.dll" because it was not found. (MSB3030) (TerrainGeneratorMono.Desktop) /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.8.1/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(5,5): Error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/MonoGame/v3.0/Assemblies/DesktopGL/x64/soft_oal.dll" because it was not found. (MSB3030) (TerrainGeneratorMono.Desktop) /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.8.1/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(5,5): Error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/MonoGame/v3.0/Assemblies/DesktopGL/x86/libSDL2-2.0.so.0" because it was not found. (MSB3030) (TerrainGeneratorMono.Desktop) /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.8.1/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(5,5): Error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/MonoGame/v3.0/Assemblies/DesktopGL/x64/libSDL2-2.0.so.0" because it was not found. (MSB3030) (TerrainGeneratorMono.Desktop) /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.8.1/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(5,5): Error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/MonoGame/v3.0/Assemblies/DesktopGL/x86/libopenal.so.1" because it was not found. (MSB3030) (TerrainGeneratorMono.Desktop) /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/5.8.1/lib/mono/msbuild/15.0/bin/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(5,5): Error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/MonoGame/v3.0/Assemblies/DesktopGL/x64/libopenal.so.1" because it was not found. (MSB3030) (TerrainGeneratorMono.Desktop)

I’ve tried installing the nuget Monogame DesktopGL package and maybe a few others, to no effect. Google hasn’t returned anything helpful from these errors. Building a mac-only monogame solution works fine. I’d like to have this project be crossplatform though, so any help would be appreciated

1 Like

Found a solution. I’ll leave this here for future googlers.

I installed the monogame 3.7 build from the Development Builds section of http://www.monogame.net/downloads/ and it builds fine now

4 Likes