VS2015, no templates

O/S: Win7 Pro, 64bit. I have VS2010 and VS2013 previously installed. I downloaded the latest VS2015 installer from MSDN yesterday, downloaded the 3.4 monogame installer. Installed VS2015, installed monogame. No templates. I’ve checked the screenshots on this site, so I know I’m looking in the right place.

A couple of things that may or may not be relevant: 1) Not currently connected to the network, so VS2015 complained about not being able to install typescript. 2) My user account does not have admin privileges, so it does a UAC to install. I also tried running the exe as admin. No diff. 3) On every install, mono complains about not being able to write OpenTk.DLL, but succeeds when I click retry.

Anyway, TL;DR, no project templates.

ETA: No templates in 2010 or 2013 either.

So I guess I’ll answer my own question. Probably because my account doesn’t have admin privileges and I get a UAC prompt, the templates are installed under C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\MonoGame . Once I moved that to my own subdirectory, the templates showed up.

This is definitely a bug (or a shortcoming, or an undocumented negative feature) of the installer. It means that someone without admin privilege literally cannot install monogame cleanly.

I had the same problem. If you can get an adminstrator on the system to copy the C:\Users\{administrator}\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\MonoGame folder to your corresponding …Templates\Visual C# folder it should work for you. I have a lab with systems for students (local Windows 10 accounts) and did this so they could create C# MonoGames 3.4 solutions.

Note the “{adminstrator}” string would be replaced by the actual administrator’s account. For example my “{administrator}” substitution and copy of the MonoGame folder would result in:

C:\Users\renzo\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\MonoGame

Hope this helps.

The templates arent a problem… generally ull have other issues installing stuff into program files without admin permission as well -> which meens without it MonoGame couldnt work anyway at least not from normal installer.