What do I need to download & install?

Okay! I’m taking the plunge. I’m going to finish my game General Staff using MonoCode! This is a Windows desktop project. What do I need to download? I’m already using Visual Studio 2022.

There are 19 download files on the link and I’m not sure which specific files I’ll need.

Thanks!

P. S. I’m going to be back with even more stupid questions once I start porting!

HI! I think you should follow this guide: Setting up your development environment for Windows | MonoGame Documentation
There is just one thing: as far as I know, plugin for VS 2022 is not already published so you should use dotnet command line templates for creating new project.

First problem:

How do I resolve this? Sorry for being such a pain. I hate setting up VS environments. There’s always a ton of problems

The command to install the templates is:

dotnet new -i "MonoGame.Templates.CSharp"

To create a project:

dotnet new mgdesktopgl

Great! Got it installed. Now, how do I create an app project titled GSBPGEX?

Create a Solution folder and create Solution file:

md Solution
cd Solution
dotnet new sln

This will create a solution file with the name “Solution”

Then run:

dotnet new mgdesktop --name GSBPGEX

This will create the project in a new folder with the given name.

First, thanks!
Second, I’ve got a repo set up with BitBucket. Everything inside the folder BitBucketGS\gsblackpowder\ gets automatically uploaded to the repo (I use GitKraken). Should I first switch to that folder? Or, as you can see from the screen capture above, I’m already in the folder \source\repos
Again, a ton of thanks! I hate getting started with a new IDE

You’re welcome!

Run the command in the folder you what the project in. In your case that would be:

C:\Users\Ezra\source\repos\BitBucketGS\gsblackpowder\

Again, many, many thanks!
Looks like I’m missing a template:

Where do I find & install the missing template?

the template name is:

for cross platform

mgdesktopgl

or

for Windows only

mgwindowsdx

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I had to install Net 3.1 and now, after a build, it looks like I’ve got a blank XNA program (something I haven’t seen in about 4 years)!
Do I need to download the ContentBuilder and Editors and the other downloads or am I good for now?

P.S. I have used a command line since the 1980s!

Yes, you will need to install the content builder.

dotnet tool install -g mgcb-editor
mgcb-editor --register
dotnet tool install -g dotnet-mgfxc

Thanks… and sorry for coming back with more stupid questions (though a CS TA told me in 1981, “there are no stupid questions in computer science,”) and I’ve always told my students that, too.

I’ve downloaded a lot of NuGet packages but can’t install:

Can you please talk me through this bit? Thanks

Try this command:

dotnet tool install -g dotnet-mgcb-editor

All good now!
Thanks a million!