Installation of MonoGame 3.5 under Xubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

Hello everyone

I start with a freshly installed Xubuntu. I follow the instructions where it is stated that these packages should be installed before I start to run the install-script “MonoGame 3.5 for Linux” / monogame-sdk.run:

• monodevelop
  • libopenal-dev
  • gtk-sharp3
  • referenceassemblies-pcl

To install these packages I do following:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
echo “deb Index of /repo/debian wheezy main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gtk-sharp3 libopenal-dev referenceassemblies-pcl
wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/m/msttcorefonts/ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.6_all.deb -P ~/Downloads
sudo apt install ~/Downloads/ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.6_all.deb

Note: Without these tricks above there will be numerous errors.Sadly, I can’t post the solution websites here because the system does not allow me to post more than 2 weblinks.

After that I install Monodevelop 5.10 by typing in following:

sudo apt-get install monodevelop monodevelop-versioncontrol monodeveop-database

Now I start monodevelop. it works. i close it.

After that, I download the file monogame-sdk.run under the Link “MonoGame 3.5 for Linux”

I open the instructions which I found at ur website …/documentation/?page=Setting_Up_MonoGame_Linux.
I do following:

sudo apt-get install libopenal-dev mono-runtime

Xubuntu tells me that everything is there. 0 updates, 0 to installed. everything is fine.

Now i do this:

cd Downloads
chmod +x monogame-sdk.run
sudo ./monogame-sdk.run

Xubuntu asks me if i installed following packages:

• monodevelop
  • libopenal-dev
  • referenceassemblies-pcl / mono-pcl
  • ttf-mscorefonts-installer / mscore-fonts
  • gtk-sharp3

I believe that I did so. So I press Y and Y for installing monodevelop addin

After that I get following output:

Installing MonoGame Addin V3.5.1.1679
WARNING: [MonoDevelop.AspNet,5.10] Could not load some add-in
assemblies: Could not find file
“/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/System.Web.Helpers.dll”.
ERROR: Errors found in add-in '/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/MonoDevelop.AspNet.dll:
ERROR: The file ‘/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/System.Web.Helpers.dll’ referenced in the manifest could not be found.
ERROR: The file ‘/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/System.Web.Mvc.dll’ referenced in the manifest could not be found.
ERROR: The file ‘/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/System.Web.Razor.dll’ referenced in the manifest could not be found.
ERROR:
The file
‘/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/System.Web.WebPages.Deployment.dll’
referenced in the manifest could not be found.
ERROR: The file ‘/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/System.Web.WebPages.dll’ referenced in the manifest could not be found.
ERROR:
The file
‘/usr/lib/monodevelop/AddIns/AspNet/System.Web.WebPages.Razor.dll’
referenced in the manifest could not be found.
WARNING:
The add-in ‘MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.AspNet,5.10’ could not be updated
because some of its dependencies are missing or not compatible:
missing: MonoDevelop.AspNet,5.10
Installing MonoGame SDK…
Creating launcher items…
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
Adding mimetype…
touch: cannot touch ‘/home/andru/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list’: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/xdg-mime:
807: /usr/bin/xdg-mime: cannot create
/home/andru/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.new: Directory
nonexistent
To uninstall the pipeline please run /usr/lib/mono/xbuild/MonoGame/v3.0/uninstall.sh

If i open monodevelop I can create a project with MonoGame. But still that does not look very promising to me. Questions: What do I need to do to install MonoGame proper? Do I need to change the distribution?

Have a nice day
Andru

Hello altogehter. I think that I solved this issue for Xubuntu and Ubuntu. In 2 hours I will post my answer.

Hello

User Crysikrend gave me the answer. the problem is not the Monogame installer. Its the Monodevelop. On Ubuntu/ Xubuntu / Debian and most other distributions you can not install Monodevelop 6 or higher. Its simply impossible by using the package system (apt-get). So I compiled everything like him according to this howto.

enter link description here

After that you need to make sure that the MonoGame-Installer finds these packaged preinstalled on you system (Xubuntu-specific, probably the same on ubuntu)

• libopenal-dev
  • gtk-sharp3
  • referenceassemblies-pcl (needed to use PCL template)
  • ttf-mscorefonts-installer (recommended, but not needed)

Now here comes the tricky part. ttf-mscorefonts-installer will not be installed by default correcly. Thats why u need the hack below.

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
echo “deb Index of /repo/debian wheezy main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gtk-sharp3 libopenal-dev referenceassemblies-pcl
wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/m/msttcorefonts/ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.6_all.deb -P ~/Downloads
sudo apt install ~/Downloads/ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.6_all.deb

After you have done this you can continue by adding a new folder under: /home/YOURUSERNAME/.local/share/ => new folder applications. The installer will create a mimeapps.list file in there.

start the MonoGame-Installer:

chmod +x monogame-sdk.run
sudo ./monogame-sdk.run

After that, start Monodevelop 6 and go to Tools, Add-In, Gallery, Gane Development and install the MonoGamePlugin.
Restart MonoDevelop

Important note: If you create a new project with monogame the wizard will not automatically bring into the Solution folder. You have to close monodevelop, go to the Project folder and open the SLN File manually. After that every reference seems to be loaded. I guess i try to fix that as well.

Overall. Monodevelop 6 and Monogame 3.5 seems to work on Xubuntu. I’ll try to install everything again. Make it even cleaner and will post a better explanation. Have a nice day

Thank you very much for this write-up.
I have been struggling to setup MonoGame and MonoDevelop on Ubuntu and will try following these steps.

Edit: Seems to be working, although the graphical pipeline tool won’t run. I’ll play around with it.
Edit2: Well that was quick, got everything (seemingly) working by downloading the MonoGame development build.
Thanks so much for this guide!

Hello

@Edit 2: How did you set it up by using the monogame development build. How does that work?

To solve the pipeline did following: I noticed that he can not find the binary executive file. He is looking for a file in
/usr/bin/monogame-pipeline-tool or similar (ApplicationName is set wrong). Instead, the file /usr/bin/monogame-pipeline is existing. So I copied this file and renamed it. So, the Applicationname finds the exe binary.

I simply copied the file /usr/bin/monogame-pipeline-tool to /usr/bin/monogame-pipeline. sudo cp /usr/bin/monogame-pipeline-tool /usr/bin/monogame-pipeline.

it seems to work. but this does not mean that it works. I’ll test it in more details.

Have a nice evening
Andru

First I tried the MonoGame installer for Linux found here: http://www.monogame.net/2016/03/17/monogame-3-5/

It was mostly working with the exception of the pipeline tool.
I uninstalled it by running the uninstaller in “/opt/MonoGameSDK/”

Then I tried reinstalling MonoGame with the Linux Development Build installer found here: http://www.monogame.net/downloads/ on the bottom of the page.

During installation it complained that it couldn’t find MonoDevelop 6 and some other dependencies but I ignored it and continued. The Pipeline tool now works for me.

Thank you kino.

After I reinstalled my Xubuntu and did it your way it almost worked out. After I installed the MonoGame-Dev Version no errors accured. MonoDevelop 6 hasen’t been found by the MonoGame-Installer. But that was okay. I had the problem that I could not create any new MonoGame-project. So I went to Add-In-Manager and installed under Game Development the MonoGame-Addin. This worked out without any errors. But still i could only create a project like MonoGame-Library but no App / Applications-Solutions showed up.

So i quit MonoDevelop and installed the stable release 3.5 of MonoGame (second installer). This one told me that I should uninstall the MonoGame-Installer-Dev. I did not do this. I just reopened MonoDevelop and everything was there. All the solutions from library to App.

Also the Pipeline-Tool works great.

In the next post i will show all the commands I was using to reach that. Maybe other people on Ubuntu / xubuntu can use that.

Have a nice day
Andru

hello everyone

To install MonoGame 3.5 on your Xubuntu / Ubuntu I recommend to use MonoDevelop 6. To do execute following commands

mkdir ~/Apps
mkdir ~/Apps/Monodevelop
mkdir ~/.local/share/applications

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y upgrade

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
sudo apt install -y autoconf automake cmake fsharp git gnome-sharp2 gtk-sharp2 libssh2-1-dev mono-complete referenceassemblies-pcl zlib1g-dev
cd ~/Apps/Monodevelop
git clone GitHub - mono/monodevelop: MonoDevelop is a cross platform .NET IDE --branch monodevelop-6.1.2.44 --depth 1 6.1.2.44
cd 6.1.2.44
./configure --profile=stable --enable-release
make
make run

After that you should install certain additional packages which the monogame-installer needs:

sudo cd ~/Downloads
sudo apt install -y ~/Downloads/ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.6_all.deb
sudo apt-get install -y libopenal-dev mono-runtime gtk-sharp3 referenceassemblies-pcl

Third:
Download MonoGame-Installer (Developer version) http://www.monogame.net/downloads on the bottom of the page and install it.

Even though the installer does not recognise MonoDevelop 6, continue. After the installation, open Monodevelop and check out if it shows you any monogame projects. if not, install in MonoDevelop 6 under Tools, Add-In, Game-development, the MonoGame-Addin.

if monodevelop still does not show you project Solution called apps, download the release 3.5 (not dev installer), try to instll it again and the installer will tell you to uninstall monogame. Don’t do that. Just open Monodevelop 6 and it will work.

have a nice day.
Andru