Blender, MGCB and 3D Animation

Trying to create a 3D model in Blender and then build+load it through MGCB, pull out multiple animations and render+play them.

I have tried different versions of Blender, including the older ones with the XNA Rotation hack etc. I got the animation to play properly using that and the XNA Skinning Sample code but when using that version it did not render the texture of my model properly, even if I loaded it and assigned it to the SkinnedEffect manually.

Like I said I tried different versions of Blender, MonoGame 3.4 as well as the develop branch. (3.4 seems to have some issues with the SkinnedModelProcessor, this is fixed in the develop branch).

The only 3D file format I have tried is FBX and to get them to load when exported from an older Blender version I had to use the Autodesk FBX Converter 2013 tool. (This one can almost always render models properly and play animations, while the Skinned Example fails to do so).

I am not certain whether the issue is in the fbx model, the export from blender, the content processor (SkinnedModelProcessor) or my way of rendering the model but I can never seem to make it work properly, it is always something that is messing up be it distorted animations (arms going to the wrong side of the body etc… watch out for the rotation MGCB can apply…)… no texture at all, black models…

So my question is: Did anyone find the holy grail? Someone here must have figured out how to render and animate 3D models properly…

• What file format is the best? FBX?
  • Which Blender version? Or is there another tool that works better in combination with MonoGame?
  • Which MonoGame version?

I know there will not be a one line answer to what I am asking but I feel that if there is a definite way to make MonoGame work well with 3D and animation the framework will be able to grow a lot easier. If someone figured out a way to do this I would love to see a tutorial or at least a small hint of tools/versions/formats used, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

References:
XNA Skinned Model Sample
Blender
Autodesk FBX Converter 2013