Error when building shader: Invalid input semantic

I get this error when trying to build the following shader:
Lighting.fx(30,18-27): error X4502: invalid input semantic ‘POSITION’: Legal indices are in [1,15]
Lighting.fx(30,18-27): error X4502: invalid ps_3_0 input semantic ‘POSITION’
Lighting.fx(30,18-27): error X4502: invalid input semantic ‘POSITION’: Legal indices are in [1,15]
Lighting.fx(30,18-27): error X4502: invalid ps_3_0 input semantic ‘POSITION’

I am using dotnet core on MacOS High Sierra (Can provide more information if need). I tried experimenting with gradually removing and reintroducing my uniform variables, and as soon as I introduce light_diffuse, I start getting the errors. I was able to get the shader to build If I change the #define for SV_POSITION to POSITION1, but then I get a runtime exception about shader compilation, obviously that is causing it to generate bad GLSL. I have very little experience with HLSL, I am a little more comfortable in GLSL, I am at a loss for what is going on here.

#if OPENGL
	#define SV_POSITION POSITION
	#define VS_SHADERMODEL vs_3_0
	#define PS_SHADERMODEL ps_3_0
#else
	#define VS_SHADERMODEL vs_4_0_level_9_1
	#define PS_SHADERMODEL ps_4_0_level_9_1
#endif

Texture2D SpriteTexture;
float4 light_pos;

float4 light_diffuse;
//float4 light_specular;

float light_constant;
float light_linear;
float light_quadratic;

float4 AmbientColor = float4(1, 1, 1, 1);
float AmbientIntensity = 0.1;

sampler2D SpriteTextureSampler = sampler_state
{
	Texture = <SpriteTexture>;
};

struct VertexShaderOutput
{
	float4 Position : SV_POSITION;
	float4 Color : COLOR0;
	float2 TextureCoordinates : TEXCOORD0;
};

float4 MainPS(VertexShaderOutput input) : COLOR
{
  float distance = length(light_pos - input.Position);
  float attenuation = 1.0 / (light_constant + light_linear * distance +
    		    light_quadratic * (distance * distance));

float4 ambient = AmbientColor * AmbientIntensity;
  float4 diffuse = light_diffuse * attenuation;
  //float4 specular = light_specular * attenuation;

//float4 lightIntensity = ambient + diffuse + specular;

float lightIntensity = ambient + diffuse;
	return tex2D(SpriteTextureSampler, input.TextureCoordinates) * lightIntensity;
}

technique SpriteDrawing
{
	pass P0
	{
		PixelShader = compile PS_SHADERMODEL MainPS();
	}
}

You don’t define the vertex shader in the effect?

I created this using the “Sprite Effect” template, and it generated without the vertex shader. I am assuming it uses the default sprite vertex shader, the shader did work exactly as I expected when I just had the logic for ambient lighting in there, so I know it is picking up and using the correct vertex shader.

POSITION0 ?

Try that

I have, I get the same exact errors except instead of the error saying “Invalid input semantic ‘POSITION’”, it says 'Invalid input semantic ‘POSITION0’".

The “Legal indices are in [1, 15]” part is what led me to try using POSITION1, while that compiles in the content builder, it leads to a shader compilation error at runtime since it generates bad GLSL.

Doesn’t look like there’s anything wrong with it but I do notice you’re using input.Position which is reserved for the hardware and not normally used in the pixel-shader as far as I know(I’ve run into a problem like this before when I didn’t know) - it might even be what’s causing the issue.

To have a position you can use, you’d need to define a vertex-shader in there too to over-ride the default one and add a separate position entry in the struct (so a use-able one can be passed into the PS)
Something like this might be needed:

float4x4 MatrixTransform;
matrix World;

struct VertexShaderOutput
{
	float4 Position : SV_POSITION;
	float4 Color : COLOR0;
	float2 TextureCoordinates : TEXCOORD0;
    float3 myPosition : TEXCOORD1;
};

VertexShaderOutput MainVS(float4 position : SV_POSITION, float4 color : COLOR0, float2 texCoord : TEXCOORD0)
{
    VertexShaderOutput output;
    output.Position = mul(position, MatrixTransform);
    output.myPosition = mul(position, World);
    output.Color = color;
    output.TextureCoordinates = texCoord;
    return output;
}

float4 MainPS(VertexShaderOutput input) : COLOR
{
  float distance = length(light_pos - input.myPosition); // <--- now using myPosition
/// ETC...
}

technique SpriteDrawing
{
	pass P0
	{
        VertexShader = compile VS_SHADERMODEL MainVS();
		PixelShader = compile PS_SHADERMODEL MainPS();
	}
};

Probably using identity matrix anyway for transforms - as long as “MatrixTransform” is in there, I believe spritebatch will pass to that, but you’ll proly need to SetParam for “World” (identity usually when using spritebatch)

[Edit: If it’s a post-processing effect (like lighting a finished rendertarget, you could also use the textureCoordinates as (0-1, 0-1) screen coordinates instead).]
[Edit: I realized too that if you use my example where myPosition is float3, you’d probably need light_pos to be float3 too (or use light_pos.xyz)]

Thanks for the good answer. I made a new Effect that includes the vertex shader and adding a new output variable with the TEXCOORD1 semantic helped. My new conundrum is how do I use the position and texture from SpriteBatch.Draw(). I could obvious set those uniform values before every draw call but it would be great if I could use the values pass into Draw() directly.

I forgot. This is very important too(in case anyone forgets it):

fx = Content.Load<Effect>("testfx");
fx.Parameters["MatrixTransform"].SetValue(Matrix.CreateOrthographicOffCenter(
0, 1024, 768, 0, -2000.0f, 2000.0f));

You can just use the position accepted in the vertex shader and pass it directly as myPosition to the pixel shader (no need to multiply by “world” since it’s identity - unless you actually pass a modified world matrix to the Begin) - so, you’ll be using the interpolated position & texture coordinate submitted by Draw(). The texture coordinates will be in 0-1 space so if you needed to know the exact positions on the texture map, you could multiply by texture width & height to get the original coordinates (if needed).