✔ ☕ General Conversation Thread

I best remember to add this to any tutorial I put together… thinking to allow the tutorials to be added to by various people as well… hmm… obviously with full credits and link backs…

Has me thinking now…

On the only positive note of mine for this week, I finally purchased my domain name for my travel blog which I plan to make headway on, later this year… www.BlindManTravels.net I already put a facebook link together too of the same name… [Still need to put the branding together yet, thought of a fantastic logo for it… just need to get it made now…] I hope to encourage and support and bring light to the condition I suffer and the 1/60,000 [EDIT There are more than 125,000 people with a similar issue but the point I meant to raise was that people assume Blind means zero sight… this is wrong and needs addressing as there are many levels of blindness; it is this fact I wish to bring to the foreground] or so who also have a similar condition… I found that nobody was doing anything about it so… I may as well become my own role model… [Inception?] Unsure at this point to host an independent site for it or blend it into my own blog for simplicity… but I think I may take that route for a while until it grows out of being a sub section… [EDIT 2 I forgot to mention I have already spoken to a national charity that supports blind people here to partner with them in some way to help others in the same situation, I hope I can muster the courage to step up…]

Thanks…

Nice … the site looks very good.

Why not have both. Let your main site with apps make people aware of your cause and your other site. Ask them to visit it ect… and vice versa.

1 Like

Thank you, it is still very much a temporary appearance, I am still a few weeks off from completing my web studies, but with my current situation, it might be the end of April before I get anything going… [Currently at the interesting point of Database interaction, something I have waited a decade to get around to… well almost a decade] though I will have completed my move by the end of this month… no power there until the 20th or so and then hopefully get the gas reconnected sometime in the first week of April… but I just need the electricity connected for now… thank goodness I fitted an electric shower when I did…

Well it turned out i was wrong about the -z in the scaling it was due to the fact that i was turning my skycubes into actual cubes and the winding was backwards with the zculling standard ccw it was culling only the front polygons.

I keep updating that camera class from time to time this is the newest addition.
A projection zoom the projection matrix alone can do some cool stuff.

1 Like

That looks sweet!

And hum di dum di dum da rum… [sigh, having to think of more stuff to type is tiring]

I was wondering why there was no overload of the spritebatch.draw method that took float values instead of int values for the destination rectangle (rectangle accepts ints only), especially since the ints are converted to floats afterwards (a bit of a waste, isn’t it?)

I thought it was just something that XNA did and somehow nobody bothered changing it. I think i’ve seen a request to implement float rectangles for spritebatch somewhere.

Anyways, I copied the thing and changed two lines basically to make it accept floats. Instead of rectangle the input is Vector4 now, but the same rules apply (x y width height)

public void Draw(Texture2D texture,
Vector4 destinationRectangle,
Rectangle? sourceRectangle,
Color color,
float rotation,
Vector2 origin,
SpriteEffects effects,
float layerDepth)

So then I was eager to test out my creation and have two blocks slowly move to the right.

Because rectangle accepts ints only the movement is jumpy (from pixel to pixel), and I hoped to fix that with this new input.

To my surprise it didn’t fix anything, the jump just occured on different frames.

I was baffled at first, since I expected smooth interpolation now, since any value of a pixel could now be covered instead of just 1/0 but I forgot the rasterizer.

So the fix was fairly simple:
graphics.PreferMultiSampling = true;

Top: using Vector4() as destination
Below: using Rectangle() as destination

The gif does not give the whole thing justice, since even the fade appears to be unsmooth because the .gif program does not capture at perfect intervals. With faster movement even it is remarkably more calm and less jerky.

TLDR: Making spritebatch more useful just amounts to changing Rectangle to Vector4 in the monogame source.

The question is whether or not creating a dozen overloads for each draw() version with Vector4 is worth it, for me it’s not.

2 Likes

I was wondering why there was no overload of the spritebatch.draw method
that took float values instead of int values for the destination
rectangle (rectangle accepts ints only), especially since the ints are
converted to floats afterwards (a bit of a waste, isn’t it?)

Ya this was discussed on a couple git hub issues. Hopefully well get a full overload that just takes vertice corner positions directly four vector3’s and all 4 colors, as well as Uv’s for each vertice. So we can directly draw quads and make our own overloads if desired but keep spritebatches batching efficiency. Though you could rebuild monogame and add it. It would be nice to just have it already without fully rebuilding monogame.

There’s been a few similar requests on the github pages as well

Happily making a full overload is easiest of all as a full version just eliminates work done within a draw call directly passing the parameters.
Unhappily the adding of parameters however may actually slow it down.

Not sure i think were waiting for a milestone first though.

Spritebatch is very much optimized now. It would be a waste not to open that up for everyone to use for alternate things like particles your own text methods ect…

Anybody else suddenly got hit by 22 day old post updates from the end of 2016?

Weird…

EDIT

A word of caution, my writing style may change soon :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT

[20 March 2017]
Moving this week, will be away for a week :frowning:

Lol… I have never seen this kind of thing before

They should have subtitled: “When it’s done” (Duke Nukem, if you see this… :wink: )

1 Like

Personally im so pumped “i just can’t wait”.

lol that’s hillarious.

Happy Easter everyone!

1 Like

Seasons Greetings :slight_smile:

Hope all are well…

Not looked for my VS15CE installer yet but had to do a fresh install, MG installs fine but projects fail to create properly… in 2017CE, as the downloaded for 2015 is now behind a closed wall so I may not even bother trying to find the installer as it may not even work now…

I guess I will have to jump back to web studies until the MG team fix this serious bottleneck…

Any help appreciated…

In case anybody was worried, err… I am safe, I live near and passed by the area in Manchester yesterday…

EDIT

I hope nobody else from this community was affected in any way either…

Don’t get me started on that subject… :smile:

I have been through three major eras in the software engineering field and as it regards the business side of things, this current phase is the worst I have seen. Everyone has made everything so complex only to produce the same things we were producing with better tools years ago…

Didn’t even occur to me that you getting harmed was a possibility… You know. That kind of thing only happens to people you don’t know… Until that changes…

Very glad to hear you’re save.

1 Like

WOW has it been that long?

I am [sort of] back!

Hope all are well here…

I will have some help requests soon… just catching up on another 180 new posts… might not manage them all today but I noticed having serious issues with the default templates that come with the VS templates installer… I believe my original projects may be working fine but I need to move them over from my old system first… still in transition period…

Anyway, glad to see the community as lively as ever :slight_smile:

I had my up… downs all year long, but things are on the up now hopefully :slight_smile:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-03-how-one-mega-drive-dev-cheekily-slipped-through-segas-certification-process
This is funny. Would it still work nowadays to publish on apple/windows/etc marketplaces?

2 Likes

I like the idea and would definitely implement such a process, or reload the actual last stored data with a funny message on reload :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT

Can I get some feedback on this? bear in mind I realised I forgot to mention that the entire image represents the display screen and also I had not had any caffeine yet when I made it :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.vaseemvalentine.com/Content/Images/MGForum/TextDisplayPositioning.jpg

Thanks

EDIT

I create 4K images now as my main display is a 4K monitor…

EDIT

I still have 54 new posts to read through to catch up and get back into my web studies, what a cracking crazy year this has been… for me.

EDIT

I started a new series of thought images…

Sparked by this thread [Though I had the idea before, I mean this made me make the first one]

http://www.vaseemvalentine.com/Content/Images/MGForum/ProgrammerThoughts/Programmer_Thoughts_001.jpg

How not to design a game:
EDIT
CAUTION: LANGUAGE!