✔ ☕ General Conversation Thread

I do my ocean wave generation on the side.

It takes by far the longest time up in the rendering pipeline, but it’s ok visually if the ocean updates at a lower rate than the rest of the game.
So the generator performed at 9ms or so so my frametime was around 10 ms. But now that I don’t depend on that being finished any more i can run with 1 ms. Meanwhile the ocean updates at 100 Hz, so it’s basically not noticeable that it updates slower.

So what i do is

if(task.IsCompleted)
copyProcessedVerticesToVertexBuffer() //This must be thread safe, so the thread can not run!
startTheNewProcessing()
)

… render stuff including the ocean

So startTheNewProcessing starts a Task on another thread in that example? Since you want the copy operation to happen on the main thread you can’t really have it be automatic. I don’t think there’s a better way to do it than what you do now.

@kosmonautgames What you have there is a sensible way to do it.

1 Like

You forgot something…

I like that UI!

Found this for you @kosmonautgames. System.Threading.Tasks Namespace | Microsoft Learn

Grrr… sick of null reference exceptions which give zero explanation when it works in one app but not the other… any help?

Well where does it occur?

It’s that irritating thing where it says {“Object reference not set to an instance of an object.”}

I never know how to solve this issue when in this instance it works in app A and not in app B

Just tried copying the working sample code into a new app and it throws the same error… makes no sense…

well we can’t help with that little info

Anyways
Has there ever been something like this written for monogame? Aka loading content in a different thread? @KonajuGames

https://web.archive.org/web/20160330063607/http://konaju.com/?p=40

I write that only because the original info is not available without the web archive any more

What do you mean by official?

In general it’s easy to load content async, but you want to watch out with threads using the graphicsdevice at the same time. I know there are a lot of locks on the d3ddevice in the GraphicsDevice.DirectX code, so it might be safe to do there, but I’m not sure if synchronization is 100% right. For OpenGL MonoGame currently only lets you create one context (this was different before the switch to SDL). I think some people used a second context to load resources on a seperate thread.

I didn’t mean official, but has someone written about how to do it or their implementation?

Not that I know of…

Does this help?

Or is this relevant?

Found via this search:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=loading+game+content+on+a+non+ui+thread+monogame&form=EDGNTC&qs=PF&cvid=8417dbb045bf41cca282198fd369f888&pq=loading+game+content+on+a+non+ui+thread+monogame

@kosmonautgames https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1162148/Multi-threading-in-Csharp-Back-to-Basics-Part-of

This was like my home rolled gui in xna its kinda hard to see its a old video.

To be honest after all this time it’s not too much better it still looks and feels worse then ever to me. Its just something i stink at really bad gui stuff.

The one really cool thing in that video is the underlying class that holds the map i actually squashed 10 layers of data into each int. using a compressed contiguous bit array class I made before bitarray was a thing in c#. It actually runs right out of the bit array. which could be huge like almost 2 gigs on some of the maps i made.

1 Like

Interesting, so the data on the map correlates with game functionality right? such as can build something here and this is ocean for a ship type thing?

ya see all the bit data on the bottom left that’s actually expanded just to see it. that’s per tile but the bits are all packed right next to each other as if they are mini data types. So like if i had only 12 possible different sprites for a layer of a single hex thats 1 + 2 + 4 + 8 4 bits which can handle 0 to 15 so it could do nibbles as types 2 bit types 10 20 whatever or even bools as actual 1 bit bools and it would pack them all right next to each other across a entire byte array.

So like it would be really compressed without even zipping it. In fact zipping it all really didn’t do much. I could dig the old class up if you want to see it i don’t think ive used it for anything in years its like pure bit wise math bitshifts and or’s ands ect…

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I have enough on my plate as it is :stuck_out_tongue:

Though I am sure someone would love such useful sample data… up to you if the effort is minimal :slight_smile:

Though I would love to pick you over Hexagonal related coding… though in 3D… not now though

ya that was all 2d but i learned a lot about how to do hex map stuff.

1 Like

Unfortunately I lost my entire website last year from spammers injecting spam scripts into it.

I have used this same code in MonoGame without any issues. Loading content in a different thread is quite slow on OpenGL platforms due to the requirement to synchronize everything with the main thread. On DirectX it should work fine. I wrote that based on my work in XNA on Windows Phone 7, which was built on DirectX 11, and it was used in released games. XNA on PC was built on DirectX 9 which didn’t work with this method unfortunately.

1 Like

Speaking of loading asynchronously, loading nearly a 2 gigabyte file while filling up the gpu’s texture memory oooo. The sum total benifit to a lot of hard work a bar that fills across the screen as you load everything slower then you would have.

Just get a picture up there that says loading.

I did it in a winforms app as well that did a lot of image processing just to do it.
That bar is really cool though.

@willmotil
Can always increment a * across the screen at each loop :stuck_out_tongue: I miss the games that did this…

Hmm… grey days…