Is tracing photos plagerism?

Obviously if I see a tree, I can draw it, and sell the picture. Equally obvious, I cannot out-right copy other peoples tree renditions, and sell those…

But what if I see a picture of a tree, and feel I want to draw a similar tree…
Or what if i see a rock in a publicly shared photo, and want to draw a similar rock?
What if I trace the tree, and texture it myself?

Where is the line on this?

I think you are fine, as long as your version is far enough from the original material.
That’s my opinion.

This might help

Top 10 Copyright Myths page from the UK Copyright Service.

I was going to cite hearing a 20% rule but it looks as if even 10% similarity is still copyright infringement… have a read I hope it helps…

Thanks. Nice read. I’ve put it on the link-list https://github.com/UnterrainerInformatik/GameDevelopmentLinks.

1 Like

Thanks, very satisfying…

1 Like

The act of copying or adapting someone else’s work is a restricted act. Any adaptation will be legally regarded as a derived work; so if you simply adapt the work of others, it will still be their work, and they have every right to object you if publish such a work when they have not given you permission to do so. They are also entitled to reclaim any money you make from selling their work.
The only safe option is to create something that is not copied or adapted from the work of others, or seek the permission of the rights owner (you should expect to pay a fee and/or royalties for this).
There is nothing to stop you being inspired by the work of others, but when it comes to your own work, start with a blank sheet and do not try to copy what others have done.

Well. If a derived work cannot be identified as such, then there’s no way anyone can find out. :sunglasses:

1 Like

What it means is, Let us say you took a poster [As they did in the 80’s/90’s] and basically cut out a bit that you liked, and reproduced it in your own work, that is derivation, however, if you were to draw from scratch and have different features, then that is an inspired work provided it did not contain any hallmarks of the original work, let us say if you drew a spaceship, it better not look like the U.S.S. Kelvin :stuck_out_tongue:

A reference about those posters here:

Enjoy!

EDIT

DISCLAIMER:
I AM NOT A COPYRIGHT LAWYER, ALWAYS SEEK THE RIGHT ADVICE FROM A LEGAL ADVISOR IN WHATEVER FIELD YOU NEED CONFIRMATION ON.

1 Like