New to MonoGame, struggling to get a font on iOS

Hello,
I’ve just installed MonoGame with Visual Studio Mac and read some tutorials and unfortunately I can’t seem to get the sample project to build a font.

The sample project has an empty Content.mgcb file for the pipeline tool. I’ve added a spritefont and attempted to build the mgcb file with the Pipeline tool. Something flashes in the Build Output window but disappears straight away.

Now when I build the monogame project, I have two errors.
I’m not really sure where to go from here. It looks like the pipeline tool doesn’t work, but I dont think I’m doing anything wrong?

MonoGame project building Errors:

Project “monogametest2.iOS.csproj” (Build target(s)):

Target RunContentBuilder:
/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/bin/mono “/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/MonoGame/v3.0/Tools/MGCB.exe” /@:"/Users/R/Development/Conspiracy/monogametest2/Content/Content.mgcb" /platform:iOS /outputDir:"/Users/R/Development/Conspiracy/monogametest2/Content/bin/iOS" /intermediateDir:"/Users/R/Development/Conspiracy/monogametest2/Content/obj/iOS" /quiet
/Users/R/Development/Conspiracy/monogametest2/Content/testfont.spritefont
Building Font /Library/Fonts/Arial.ttf
/Users/R/Development/Conspiracy/monogametest2/Content/testfont.spritefont : error : Processor ‘FontDescriptionProcessor’ had unexpected failure!
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at (wrapper unknown) SharpFont.Internal.GlyphSlotRec.PtrToStructure(intptr,object)
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.PtrToStructure(intptr,System.Type)
at SharpFont.PInvokeHelper.PtrToStructure[T] (System.IntPtr reference) [0x00000] in <1ab1c07fc69249aba62188cb35238785>:0
at SharpFont.GlyphSlot.set_Reference (System.IntPtr value) [0x00007] in <1ab1c07fc69249aba62188cb35238785>:0
at SharpFont.GlyphSlot…ctor (System.IntPtr reference, SharpFont.Face parentFace, SharpFont.Library parentLibrary) [0x00006] in <1ab1c07fc69249aba62188cb35238785>:0
at SharpFont.Face.get_Glyph () [0x0001b] in <1ab1c07fc69249aba62188cb35238785>:0
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Graphics.SharpFontImporter.ImportGlyph (System.Char character, SharpFont.Face face) [0x00011] in :0
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Graphics.SharpFontImporter.Import (Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Graphics.FontDescription options, System.String fontName) [0x00036] in :0
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Processors.FontDescriptionProcessor.ImportFont (Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Graphics.FontDescription options, System.Single& lineSpacing, System.Int32& yOffsetMin, Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.ContentProcessorContext context, System.String fontName) [0x00059] in :0
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Processors.FontDescriptionProcessor.Process (Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Graphics.FontDescription input, Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.ContentProcessorContext context) [0x00151] in :0
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.ContentProcessor`2[TInput,TOutput].Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.IContentProcessor.Process (System.Object input, Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.ContentProcessorContext context) [0x00038] in :0
at MonoGame.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Builder.PipelineManager.ProcessContent (MonoGame.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Builder.PipelineBuildEvent pipelineEvent) [0x00163] in :0
/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/MonoGame/v3.0/MonoGame.Content.Builder.targets(90,5): error MSB3073: The command “/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/bin/mono “/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/MonoGame/v3.0/Tools/MGCB.exe” /@:”/Users/R/Development/Conspiracy/monogametest2/Content/Content.mgcb" /platform:iOS /outputDir:"/Users/R/Development/Conspiracy/monogametest2/Content/bin/iOS" /intermediateDir:"/Users/R/Development/Conspiracy/monogametest2/Content/obj/iOS" /quiet" exited with code 1.
Done building target “RunContentBuilder” in project “monogametest2.iOS.csproj” – FAILED.

Done building project “monogametest2.iOS.csproj” – FAILED.

Build FAILED.

/Users/R/Development/Conspiracy/monogametest2/Content/testfont.spritefont : error : Processor ‘FontDescriptionProcessor’ had unexpected failure!
/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/MonoGame/v3.0/MonoGame.Content.Builder.targets(90,5): error MSB3073: The command “/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/bin/mono “/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/External/xbuild/MonoGame/v3.0/Tools/MGCB.exe” /@:”/Users/R/Development/Conspiracy/monogametest2/Content/Content.mgcb" /platform:iOS /outputDir:"/Users/R/Development/Conspiracy/monogametest2/Content/bin/iOS" /intermediateDir:"/Users/R/Development/Conspiracy/monogametest2/Content/obj/iOS" /quiet" exited with code 1.
0 Warning(s)
2 Error(s)

Which version of MonoGame are you using? If it’s 3.6, try a development version as there have been many fixes since the 3.6 release.