OpenGL Shader models

Hello, I am having a bit of trouble figuring out the appropriate shadermodels to use in OpenGL. I saw this post where the example is setting vs/ps_5_0 for both OpenGL and DX; but if I try to use then in my OpenGL project, I get an

Invalid profile 'vs_5_0'. Vertex shader 'StarSystemVertexShader' must be SM 3.0 or lower!

Should it work, or is the example wrong/no longer actual? Everything stems from the fact that I would need to have bitwise operations in the shader, but thery are not supported in shadermodel 3.0

Is there any other alternative?

Grab GitHub - cpt-max/MonoGame: One framework for creating powerful cross-platform games. if you want to use OpenGL, while MG DX is fine, MG openGL is absolutely not, compute branch fixes that.

1 Like

Grab as in “build from source and ignore the official nuget MonoGame packages”? I’ll give it a go, thanks!

I believe compute fork has a nuget if you prefer that

Out of curiousity - if this fork solves a lot of OpenGL issues, then why is it not merged with the official repo? Or atleast some feature branch. Or perhaps that is the endgame?

Pull requests · MonoGame/MonoGame · GitHub mainly this. Also there are compatibility issues on some secondary platforms. If I remember some movement regarding this should happen around 3.9

1 Like

Ah, I see that on mac it’s not supported yet. Never mind then I’ll think of some other way to deal with the shader in sm3. Still, good to know this exists.

Thanks again

1 Like