Please introduce yourself

Hi guys,

Just starting out using MonoGame. Already caught myself writing some basic boilerplate code and thinking: there should be some kind of extension for this. That’s when I stumbled upon MonoGame.Extended. So far it’s really intuïtive, I like that!

Great initiative. Once I’m a bit comfortable using both MonoGame and .Extended I really want to help out.

See you guys around!

Hi, I’m starting to use Monogame.Extended and it seems really a good idea but I’m stuck on some problems and without a documentation I’m not able to solve them.
I tried to use extended to read Tiled maps. I’m using the latest NuGet package I found (0.5.149).
I looked the demo tiled maps but some things are a little different. Can’t find the TiledMapRenderer class, neither define the “using MonoGame.Extended.Tiled.Graphics” because “Graphics” is not found. So it all becomes a little “guess who?” game :stuck_out_tongue:
I tried to look for some other hints on how to load tiled maps with monogame.extended but none that worked, so maybe it’s better to ask for help :slight_smile:

Hello @cero,

The “latest” NuGet package is actually on @craftworkgames’s server. You can follow this tutorial here on how to access it through Visual Studio or the like. You will notice that there are two NuGet packages required for Tiled maps; MonoGame.Extended and MonoGame.Extended.Tiled.
The best documentation right now is to follow the demos by example, which there is one for Tiled Maps.

Cheers.

Hi I just discovered Monogame.Extended and so far I’m definitely impressed. I just started learning Monogame a couple of months ago through coursera and so far I like the way it works a lot. I’m planning on making a game with a friend who is an animation major. I’m a senior in a CS degree so it seems like making a game was meant to be. I was working on building a few of my own custom components in Monogame but was pretty daunted by tile maps until I found this framework. I love what is going on here and I’ll do my best to support through whatever code/documentation that I can provide. Also I checked out your patreon page and I’m now a patron. :slight_smile: Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Hey everyone, I’ve been a hobbyist programmer, game creator for years. My first game was on a Commodore 64 back in 1983. The player was a shark that ate swimmers using ASCII “graphics”. Later in 1990 I got an Amiga 500 and that was when things got real. I started
using XNA back in 2012. I have since than switched to C++ and SFML/SDL2.
Now I find out about MonoGame and I’m back to making games using C#.
I plan on remaking my Base Defense game using Voxels as soon as I feel that I’ve learned
Monogame good enough. I’ll be using the engine I make from remaking arcade games.
This is my page here. http://lancejz.github.io/

2 Likes

Hello!
I’m a professional programmer, and game development is my hobby.
I’m currently trying to get into XNA/MonoGame, as some of my favorite indie games (e.g. Stardew Valley, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Bastion) were created by this piece of software.
XNA being a fairly low level library, I took interest in MonoGame.Extended. It seems super useful, I’m sure I will use it, but I don’t have anything to show yet.
Prepare for my questions :slight_smile:
Greetings

2 Likes

Hey!

I mostly do a lot of VHDL and low level C programming by trade, but I end up doing a lot of programming projects in my spare time. I’ve used Monogame in the past (circa 2014) for a few projects, and came back to it recently. Currently working on the basis for a turn based tactical game as a hobby project. I’ve already got a bit of help from the glitter chat, so thanks to everyone in there! Extended has already saved me a ton of time getting things set up. =D

1 Like

Hi!

My actual name is a bit long (and even more so on the last name :)), just call me “Noom” or by the user name. I used to work in a game company a long time ago, here in Thailand (I saw one Thai up above :). Hello! ). Now I’m working in a branch of a financial data service company whose has HQ in KC. Mostly I do C++ at work.

I have switched between languages, frameworks, libraries, etc before landed at MonoGame last year, as it provides the best cross-platform development experience comparing to others. I’m working on a Visual Novel game which I decided to do everything by myself (stupid, right ?).

I’m currently trying to wrap my head around the MonoGame.Extended.Gui stuffs. With so little document it’s quite difficult. If you can provide some basic concepts behind the UI, it would be great.

Thanks for your effort!

Hiya!

I’m a 27 year old French Canadian who’s often interested in learning. I’m learning C#, which is my first programming language. I am rather new to it (since last year) and am tinkering around with MonoGame as a way to adapt more to programming as a whole~

I met computers when I was 17 in 1992. It was Sinclair Spectrum 48Kb. Yes, only 48 kilobytes. I was playing games then. I wrote ( I mean copied down from the book) the first codes then. The language was Basic. After a year it wasbroken and my second computer came in 1999. I began to learn Visual Basic myself, and bought some books to learn it better. Then after 2003, life again seperated me from computers. Now, again, after many many years, I bougt myself a computer 6 months ago and began to learn the language C, then C++. Because I wanted to create something new, especially some games, I searched for SDKs. There I met Monogame and C#. Reading pdf books, asking at forums and watching videos, I continue learning . Its really endless, and I feel bad about graduating from physics department at univercity still. It should be computer programming.
So , coding is not my job. It is just a hobby now . Whenever I have time I open monogame and continue my games.

Hello All,

I am a 35 years old computer programmer living in El Salvador, Central America, I have a full-time job as Windows and Web Applications programmer, but I always had the desire to create my own video games, I started to program in Visual Basic 6, then I moved to .NET, FoxPro, PHP, JavaScript.

Some time ago I heard about XNA and I was fascinated, but I didn’t have enough time to learn it. Some years later searching in google I found that the framework was discontinued (that was sad) but to my surprise there was a new framework based on XNA, so I discovered Monogame, now I am learning this framework and I am amazed at the vibrant community and by all the games that have been made with it, I hope to learn a lot from the most experienced members of the community and start making my dreams come true.

Thanks