Skeletal animations in Monogame

I’m fairly new to Monogame, to game development in general, and thus am having some trouble. I have to make a game from a failed project of Unity (not mine). The graphics are all there but they use skeletal animation. All I have is a sprite sheet with limbs and .anim files from Unity for the animation (walk,sprint,…etc). I know next to nothing about graphical design nor how to make these animations work in Monogame. The content pipeline doesn’t support it, and I have no way of converting the .anim files to other types (not that I’ve found). If there a way to make this work in Monogame as it is or will I have to remake the animations in a different format? What format does Monogame support for these types of animations and how do I implement them?

MonoGame doesn’t support skeletal animations out of the box. For that you’d have to use a 3rd party tool / library like Spine or perhaps you can find one for Spriter.

I don’t really know anything about Unity .anim files. Maybe someone has written a converter or something. You’d have to do some googling around and see what you can find.

As an alternative, if you do manage to load the files into some sort of animator program (maybe you can use the Unity tools?) you might be able to export them as traditional spritesheet animations instead. They won’t be as smooth but it could be an easier alternative. I’m working on a library called MonoGame.Extended that currently has basic support for spritesheet animations. We’d also like to add Spine and Spriter support but it’s not there yet.

It sounds like you’ve got a pretty steep learning curve ahead of you. There’s really no other way to put this, none of this stuff is going to be particularly easy. It can be done though, so if you’re determined I’m sure you can come up with a solution.

Sorry I can’t be of more help. I’m just trying to point you in the right direction and lay out your options.