Tutorials, talks, engine design, and more...

I think my next Patreon tutorial will cover the fire sample I wrote for MonoGame, this will come under the Tutorial Access Light tier.

You can see the fire cube animated in my twitter post here.

2 Likes

This post is taking long than I thought, partly due to it being on a few techniques, but also down to me playing about with the paramter and having too much fun lol

I think I have found a better runtime flame palet too, what do you think?

Also did a quick namated tweet of it too, as this forum does not seem to let me add them here :stuck_out_tongue:

Finally, got round to recording the visuals to this Patreon post :slight_smile: Hope you find it useful, I like all the fire techniques in here, and now thinking of doing a PoC level using one lol

Fire Tutorial

Starting work on the fifth engine creation tutorial using MonoGame, covering a fair bit in this one, it may look basic from the screen shot, but there is a lot going on under the hood :wink:

Still working on this turorial post, now able to render as many cameras as we want (remember, it’s a re render of the scene for each camera), this is 2 cameras.

So, if you have spotted this post on here, it looks like I may need to re think how the engine renders mesh’s due to possible changes to the MG engine post 3.8. So, that’s what I have been working on, means that the next engine desing post is going to be late, but better to get this stuff done now than have to worry about it later.

So, using the same render function I am rendering a cube, generated at runtime as well as the two models you see here. The goal here is to try and not have lots of functios doing pretty much the same job which is pushing verts to the GPU :slight_smile:

If you are interested in finding out more about the engine desing, and follow the tutorials, you can access them here.

OK, so, this next Patreon post regarding my Engine written with MonoGame is not going to be about Game Components, BaseModel, Cameras & Materials, as I intended, but how I have had to write a new custom content pipeline processor, works nice now though :smiley:

Check out my tweet showing the Miamo mesh and animation.

Finally, got round to publishing to my lovely Patrons the 5th tutorial post on my MonoGame engine development, this time covering the custom content pipeline I have written.

Void Engine - Tutorial 5

And now I have that out of the way, can now work on the next bit of my game engine written in MonoGaem, objects, primitive geom, materials and cameras :S I am easily pleased lol

1 Like

Nice that you got 3D animation working. Is it possible to have custom shaders with the animated model? What format of animation did you use? As far as I know mixamo gives you FBX models and animations right?

1 Like

Yes, in my old XNA engine, I have a custom shader for skinned mesh’s, they supported both skinned instancing and deferred lighting, and I intend to create the same thing within my new MG engine.

Mixamo you can donwload the FBX mesh (T model pose), FBX mesh with skin. I am going to set up my processor so that I can have it extract just the animation data from the fbx, I can then build a set of animation clips that can be put into a blend tree.

The animation code is based on the old XNA Skinned mesh example, so I guess it’s keyframe animation.

1 Like

I am hoping to do my post on the engine components, cameras and material system this weekend, got the post all written up, just needs me to spell check it and record the video bit showing off what we can now do with the engine :slight_smile:

Recorded and posted my 6 tutorial post on writing a game engine withe MonoGame. This is probably the biggest post so far with a short video showing the final render.

Void Engine - Tutorial 6

Hope you find it useful.

Still not perfect, but I think I am getting animation blending working in my game engine written with MonoGame :smiley:

Going from “Idle” to “Walking” then “Running” and back to “Idle”
As ever, the forum won’t let me post the gif, so here is a tweet I did with it in.

Now we have some framework in place in my engine, it’s time to look at 2D, once in place, we can look at UI. This image uses same 2 cameras in the 3D scene, but with basic 2D elements.
If your’e into game engine dev, check my Patreon page here

A bit of progress this lunch with the 2D elements of my engine written with MonoGame.
Left camera attached to the sprite, right camera is static. Ship and it’s text is rendered with the cameras screen space matrix, the info text is rendered with the cameras overlay matrix.

Alas, you will need to see the gif on my twitter feed to see it in action.

Sprite animation and render is well under way now, lost to tidy up yet for the MonoGame engine Patreon post, but getting there. Created a key frame system similar to the skinned mesh animator. Might add to the extended content pipeline to import sprite sheet animations. You could have multiple animation clips for multiple sprites too.

Have a look at the twitter post I did with a gif showing the animation.

Just opened up a Patreon tutorial post on a refraction shadre to the public, if you like it and find it useful, then feel free to become a patron to get more of this sort of thing :slight_smile:

Check it out here.

Now working on the next engine post regarding the basics of SpriteBatch rendering.

1 Like

Finally got around to posting the 7th post on my Engine written with MonoGame, this post covers the 2D basics I have created, 4 ways to render our sprites as well as sprite sheet keyframe animation.

Patrons can check it out here.

If your not a Patron yet, but would like to be, or you would like to support my development efforts, then you can sign up here.

Started to work on a bit of Audio in the MonoGame engine I am writing. Sourcing audio from here, thanks to this awesome post by @EricMatyas.

1 Like