🔗 Useful MonoGame Related Links U-MG-RL

I thought this was a handy page, so adding it here:

Resource Limits (Direct3D 11) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs

Handy find on a recent topic:

gpu - How to calculate how much video memory or memory cost by a texture - Stack Overflow

Video related:

c# - Encoding video files for XNA - Stack Overflow

Quoting the answer comment here in case it goes ‘missing’

Windows Live Movie Maker can output video in the format desired by the video content importer in XNA. That is to say, WLMM saves video as Windows Media Video 9 “Main”, using the VC-1 video codec and Windows Media Audio 9.2 audio codec. You still need to ensure that you don’t go beyond the bounds of bit rate as specified here, but if you use the “Burn a DVD” settings when saving your movie, you should be just fine if you’re doing 480p.

NB: I’m not sure if video without audio will save with an audio track. However, XNA’s video importer requires that an audio track is included, or the import will fail. If I’m not mistaken, you should be able to create a second or two of silence as a WAV and include that in your video project, if so required.

Nudging this for newcomers:

XNA Game Studio 4.0 | Microsoft Docs

Full link
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/xna/bb200104(v=xnagamestudio.40)

Found this gem recently while finding an asteroids tutorial for someone…

XNA Tutorials - XNA Meeting Point (weebly.com)

http://xnameetingpoint.weebly.com/xna-tutorials.html

Come get your particles, come one, come all…

DPSF (Dynamic Particle System Framework) for XNA (xnaparticles.com)

I noticed a lot of newcomers lately so just wanted to bump this thread so they could find the linked resources, just bear in mind a lot of sites are shutting down so some links above may no longer be linking…

Happy Coding!

EDIT

I did not want to edit the first post, but went to check the links there and they are dead sadly :(, hopefully there is more luck with the rest of the thread, if you can, do mention which links failed if you can.

I knew it!

PART 1
Windows 8 Game Development using C#, XNA and MonoGame 3.0: Building a Shooter Game Walkthrough – Part 1: Overview, Installation, MonoGame 3.0 Project Creation – The Geek Girl: Tara’s Developer Ramblings from the Dorm (archive.org)
PART 2
Windows 8 Game Development using C#, XNA and MonoGame 3.0: Building a Shooter Game Walkthrough – Part 2: Creating the Shooter/Player Asset of the Game – The Geek Girl: Tara’s Developer Ramblings from the Dorm (archive.org)
PART 3
Windows 8 Game Development using C#, XNA and MonoGame 3.0: Building a Shooter Game Walkthrough – Part 3: Updating Graphics using Content Pipeline with MonoGame – The Geek Girl: Tara’s Developer Ramblings from the Dorm (archive.org)
PART 4
Windows 8 Game Development using C#, XNA and MonoGame 3.0: Building a Shooter Game Walkthrough – Part 4: Adding and Processing Player (User) Input – The Geek Girl: Tara’s Developer Ramblings from the Dorm (archive.org)
PART 5
Windows 8 Game Development using C#, XNA and MonoGame 3.0: Building a Shooter Game Walkthrough – Part 5: Animating the Player/Ship and Creating a Parallaxing Background – The Geek Girl: Tara’s Developer Ramblings from the Dorm (archive.org)
PART 6
Windows 8 Game Development using C#, XNA and MonoGame 3.0: Building a Shooter Game Walkthrough – Part 6: Creating Enemies and Detecting Collisions – The Geek Girl: Tara’s Developer Ramblings from the Dorm (archive.org)
PART 7
Chris’ Casual Game Development Blog: Windows 8 Game Development using C#, XNA and MonoGame 3.0: Building a Shooter Game Walkthrough – Part 7: Load Your Weapons! (archive.org)
PART 8
Chris’ Casual Game Development Blog: Windows 8 Game Development using C#, XNA and MonoGame 3.0: Building a Shooter Game Walkthrough – Part 8: Here comes the Boom! (archive.org)
PART 9
Chris’ Casual Game Development Blog: Windows 8/10 Game Development using C#, XNA, and MonoGame 3.4: Building a Shooter Game Walkthrough – Part 9: Adding Sound Effects and Music (archive.org)

Unsure if same series but meh, at least you can see the code there…

If any links above are broken, give Internet Archive: Wayback Machine http://web.archive.org/ a try… I just want to add… please only use the web archive part of the site, I had no idea about the new things they have been doing… rather unfortunate really…

A new entry approaches.

A similar entry chases.

A handy page…

Something I may have posted above, here it is again just in case as it is rather helpful:

Dynamic resolution scaling in Monogame/XNA - Konrad Żaba (konradzaba.github.io)

Worth reading:

XNA 4 tutorial: Frustum Culling and Occlusion Culling – André Jeworutzki (andrejeworutzki.de)

Another one joins the pile:

shaders - How can I duplicate this color/hue shifting effect in C#? - Game Development Stack Exchange

If you are new to this thread:

Review the 5th post links

Busy day at the linkerage:

Monogame - First-person Camera mouse-look | Various Developments (liam256.github.io)

xna - How to create a delay/timer and fire an action once it expires in C# Monogame? - Game Development Stack Exchange

Reach vs HiDef in detail

Reach vs. HiDef (shawnhargreaves.com)

1 Like

NVIDIA Shader Library - HLSL
https://developer.download.nvidia.com/shaderlibrary/webpages/hlsl_shaders.html

Shawn’s Homepage (shawnhargreaves.com)

https://shawnhargreaves.com/